Blowing Bubbles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jqgs214

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2006
Riverhead, NY
Well I got my wood delivery for this years burning. I know the wood guy well and I know its seasoned red oak about 14 months. I did the blow thorugh the wood trick and low and behold bubbles. Then I took the wood I am getting ready for next season, also oak, it was dead standing for 3-4 years (defoliated by gyspy moths), felled and bucked in May, all split and stacked by June. Got bubbles off that stuff too. I dont have a moisture meter, what are the chances its dry?

Chances are pretty good. Most of my wood is in the 18%-22% range and they blow bubbles. :lol: I found a couple pieces that were 30% and couldn't get bubbles from them, so the moisture content for blowing bubbles is somewhere between. Maybe somebody will end up pinpointing the exact % for bubble blowing. %-P

I like to smack two splits together...thats my moisture meter. Blowing on wood it not something I would like to do..."not that there is anything wrong with it" :lol:

Gunner said:
I like to smack two splits together...thats my moisture meter. Blowing on wood it not something I would like to do..."not that there is anything wrong with it" :lol:

Yah right Gunner, your blowing on wood just like everyone else here. :lol:

Two Morso employees in a Danish bar tonight:

Bjorn: "Ya, I had a vunderful idea for a yoke."

Borghild: "And vhat vas this yoke Bjorn?"

Bjorn: "I placed in the American manual that you blow into the end of the vood to determine if it is dry.".

Borghild: "You did vhat? Vhy vould you do that?"

Bjorn: "For the laugh. You vould not believe it. Everybody in America is now hiding behind their voodpile blowing themselves blue in their face."

Borghild: "That is a very good yoke Bjorn. Blowing in the vood. HaHaHaHa. How do you tell if the vood is dry by the vay?"

Bjorn: "I have a nice moisture meter from Sveden."

Well if its dry it puts everyone theory here that standing dead wood doesnt really dry and that oak takes 18 months. Its only been split and stacked 3 months. I'll try burning a little this winter.

I have been cutting a lot of standing dead in the hopes that I will have enough good wood for my first winter. From what I have found, it will dry out that way. I found a few 12-18 inch trees that were dead and had lost their bark. They are very dry. I have two huge oaks in the woods behind my house. They have already fallen. The trunk is not super dry but it's not soaking wet either. The branches are very dry. I think it depends on how long the thing has been dead. There are two oaks up here that have been dead for three or four years. I'll let you know this fall or next just how dry they are.

wxman said:
Well if its dry it puts everyone theory here that standing dead wood doesnt really dry and that oak takes 18 months. Its only been split and stacked 3 months. I'll try burning a little this winter.

I don't know that there's a hard-and-fast rule about standing dead trees. I cut down a bunch of dead trees this summer, and several (primarily those missing most of their bark) were quite dry. Probably depends on climate, species, how long they've been dead, why they died, and maybe even what time of year they died. I think it's just best to not assume that dead trees are dry.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not gonna blow bubbles. You never know where that clowns been.

(sorry, I just couldn't help myself)
Bad Jags, bad Jags

It's an old joke. BB was close. Jags was close, but didn't realize it.

The real deal is that there was a guy named "Bubbles" who had a yard full of dry wood that for some reason he would only sell to attractive young women.

Eric Johnson said:

The real deal is that there was a guy named "Bubbles" who had a yard full of dry wood that for some reason he would only sell to attractive young women.

Attractive young women and some guys from burning issues.

Gunner said:
Eric Johnson said:

<snort, snort, snicker>

I realized it Eric, just trying to keep that "G" rating, cuz the original story went like this..... ahhh, I think I'm gonna keep that quiet.

Gunner said:
Eric Johnson said:

I wish I'd waited until tonight to read this one.... It's easier to clean beer off the monitor and keyboard than soda!

Oh yea, I can see this one going over real well at my place: "Hey MrsGriz, I've got this piece of wood I'd like you to blow into to see if something comes out the other end......" Never mind.....

Status
Not open for further replies.