Blown Fuse, New Accentra.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MX2

May 18, 2013
RI
I fired up my new (first fire up) Accentra stove earlier this evening and it ran great for about 2 hours. Then, I left the room and came back and the flame was out. No power light either. Beautiful clear night and no storms. I checked the fuse and it was blown. The stove is hooked up to a UPS (BE750G). Any idea why the fuse would blow? Thanks for the help. B-

Warranty time, probably a failed component that happened on the warranty period and not after! Now to see if the dealer steps up to bat? Let us know the outcome. In the mean time, have a beer.

Was it the fuse in the stove. Our you're house panel?

Last year someone had a Harman that had a fit because of reversed polarity.

Hello

Here is my 2 cents with Ohm's Law
V=IR (Voltage = Current or amps times resistance)
Therefore
I=V/R
Harman Ignitors are 306 watts so 306watts/50ohms = 6.12 amps!

In the Harman Accentra Manual on page 29
They say the fuse has a 5 amp rating.

However In the parts list towards the end of the manual they list 6 amp replacement fuses.
Fuse 6 AMP Pkg of 5 3-20-49447-5

Out in the field, I have seen 7 amp fuses installed on some of these panels!
This maybe why.
When the 306 watt ignitor starts the stove and pulls more than 6 amps. Bong!

My guess is the power rating for the fuses may not have been correct in some of the manuals.
Harmans have been around for a long time and the manuals are quite old.

Some stoves have a separate fuse for the ignitor which I think is a really good idea!

Since this is a new stove.
I would check with your Harman dealer to see if there are any service bulletins on updated fuse recommendations.

Last edited:
Isnt the formula P=I(^2) x R. Therefore to solve for I, you'd need to take the square root of P/R, which would yield ~2.5 amps. Or alternatively I=P/V, which would be 306/120 = ~ 2.5 amps.

Unless I'm missing something...these are the formulas i've lived with. My Mt. Vernon has a 380 watt ignitor and the manual notes startup @ 5 amps.

Isnt the formula P=I(^2) x R. Therefore to solve for I, you'd need to take the square root of P/R, which would yield ~2.5 amps. Or alternatively I=P/V, which would be 306/120 = ~ 2.5 amps.

Unless I'm missing something...these are the formulas i've lived with. My Mt. Vernon has a 380 watt ignitor and the manual notes startup @ 5 amps.

I am sorry, you are right, It should be "Voltage" V=IR so the calculations are correct. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

My calculations make the 7 amp fuses I see the field make sense.

Although you used the more complex formula, the result is correct....not sure where Don got his formula from.

Ohm's law (in this case) is I (current) = V (voltage) divided by R (resistance) So, in this case 120v divided by (approx)47 ohms = 2.6 amps.

A 6 amp fuse should be plenty, so there is a problem elsewhere.

new Harman = 2 year warranty = call the dealer.......that's my math. I would throw a tester on the outlet first tho to make sure it isn't a power supply issue (then you'll be paying for a service call!)

Reactions: Don2222 and Delta-T
That 5 amp fuse is likely to be a 240 volt part .

V =IR
P = VI or IRI or I^2 R

keep on a trucking.

I changed the fuse and it powered up but then blew when i turned the stove on. I put another one in and it blew immediately when i plugged the stove in. Calling the dealer today. There must be a short somewhere I'm guessing. Good thing its only September.

new Harman = 2 year warranty = call the dealer.......that's my math. I would throw a tester on the outlet first tho to make sure it isn't a power supply issue (then you'll be paying for a service call!)
3 Year warranty...no?

Combustion motor kicks on for 2 seconds when the unit is powered. I'd disconnect that and go to test and see if any of the other motors knock the fuse out. If not, there's your problem. Originally the stove blew the fuse while running and not at start up so it most likely is not the igniter.

einstein.jpg

http://www.etgiftstore.com/items/ALL-PRODUCTS/Ohms-Law-Watches~Clocks~Stickers~MORE/list.htm

This clock is on my Christmas wishing list. For direct current, it combines both Ohm's law and Joule's law in very clear way:

819B_DC_ohms_law_wall_clock.jpg
Or what about this 2" medallion coin with the AC Laws on one side and the DC Laws on the other:

ohms_law_medallion_coin.jpg

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Why didn't I see this thread earlier. Now you're talking in my language

V=IZ

Impedance.jpg

Where:

Z=Impedance (ohm)
R=Resistance (ohm)
XL=Inductance Reactance(ohm)

V=IR works well in a DC circuit but there's an extra component of inductive reactance in an AC circuit. The result is inconsequentially minuscule but nevertheless exists.
I realize I'm a season late and a pellet short and apologize.
I'm actually very interested to see what caused the fuses to blow. Any word yet?

Update,discussion I think went to "Is it unreasonable to ask for a new stove?" Tech to arrive Wednesday.

Why didn't I see this thread earlier. Now you're talking in my language

V=IZ

Impedance.jpg

Where:

Z=Impedance (ohm)
R=Resistance (ohm)
XL=Inductance Reactance(ohm)

V=IR works well in a DC circuit but there's an extra component of inductive reactance in an AC circuit. The result is inconsequentially minuscule but nevertheless exists.
I realize I'm a season late and a pellet short and apologize.
I'm actually very interested to see what caused the fuses to blow. Any word yet?

But we don't have a double squiggle (~) line on most keyboards to indicate for nearly all needs is equivalent too.

One needs to keep the square roots of negative quantities out of most forum posts as people have a hard enough time with real numbers let alone imaginary and complex numbers.

No doubt the minds are affected by to much beer.

Reactions: smoke show
people have a hard enough time with real numbers let alone imaginary and complex numbers.
That's what my therapist said about my complex yet imaginary friend. So I switched therapists realizing that beer is cheaper therapy.

beer is cheaper therapy.

That works for me too and if we stick to electrical analogy: Drinking a couple of beers works like a phase compensation capacitor for me... I can then more easily accept that life is very complex sometimes;)

Reactions: EastMtn
Status
Not open for further replies.