blue flame from natural gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

masonhamlin

Oct 17, 2007
michigan
I have adjusted the air restrictor as far closed as the (Jotul) mechanism will allow so that I can have a more realistic yellower flame. Still the flame is blue unless I turn the fuel all the way up but then it is too hot too soon. I'd like to do some tests to see if I can figure this out. Otherwise am switching to wood. Thanks.

I had a Jotul Sebago freestanding gas stove in my old house and when the gas/flame was on a low setting the flame was always blue. When on high, I had a beautiful very realistic flame. I don't think you can have a yellow realistic low burning flame. If the stove is overheating you, perhaps you need to get a thermostat so that it can turn on/off as needed. Did you buy the stove recently? Also, I imagine it will colder soon and too hot too soon won't be a problem, but a good thing.

I don't know about Jotul, but all the gas units we sell it is not recommended for people to be playing with the air shutter. If adjusted down too far, sure the flame looks freaking awesome, but after a few hours the glass will be so black you can't even see in the thing. Then go look outside.... damn the side of the house is all black. That stuff is not fun the clean off. What model do you have? Maybe I could look in the manual and see if I can figure anything out.

You really shouldn't be playing with that air shutter. What you're doing in trying to get a nice yellow flame is equivalent to running an old manual choke car with the choke on. (Maybe you're too young to know what I'm referring to) Basically you're changing the fuel/air ratio, making the stove run with too little oxygen. THIS CAN CREATE A TON OF DEADLY CARBON MONOXIDE VERY QUICKLY.
The only way to determine if the burner is operating safely is to test it with an instrument called a digital combustion tester. Something only a professional heating person would have. Please get it checked for your own sake and the sake of your family.

switch to wood- I get all mine for free!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.