1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

"BLUE" Gasification flame, Fact or fiction?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Armaton, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Sorry to go OT here in this thread, but its just a reply to the above.

Ill keep you posted on my adventures with the boiler for sure. Got my diverting valve sorted out, and the house is now heating away happily on wood. Still got a little puking out of the pressure relief at the top end, but thats since I did a fast fill from a garden hose, and had too high of a fill pressure.

My wife had to light the boiler up tonight, and was very happy with how easy it was. She likes that its simple, and I like that there arent really any settings for her to worry about if Im not around.

I had thought about the 40 to get the extra BTU output, but my chimney wouldnt support the natural draft. I guess that if you lose power you just need the overheat loop and to have some natural circulation going, since it would continue to burn even if your loading valve stopped. I guess if I bought one of those I would consider a UPS for the pump. (Also, in looking around the web yesterday I see that LK now makes a loading valve using the Grundfos Eco circ to get the consumption down, kinda nifty)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hobbyheater

hobbyheater Minister of Fire

Pride goes before the fall. :bug: You really got me thinking on the external temp gauges and my assumption! So the only thing available was a BBQ gauge with a 2 1/2" probe. It installed pretty easily. The combustion air and draft inducer air is supplied by one blower. I ran one heating cycle of the storage tank at max full out air for the temps seen in the other pictures. Today, I reduced the air flow resulting in much higher flue temperatures on the magnetic gauge and internal gauge. But the surprising result for me was a 2 % rise in efficiency in heat going to the storage tank. There was snow on the roof today so I was unable to go up on the roof and do a sniff test. I am working on getting an old CO2 tester going!
    Thanks again for the wake up!

Attached Files:

3. thecontrolguy

thecontrolguy Member

Loc:
    Northern British Columbia
    I would hesitate on this as there is usually condensibles in the exhaust stream. Stuff that condenses in your lungs. Further, you might read up on the on-going research in micro-particulates as the research has some disturbing info on what happens when the Nano-sized particles get into our bloodstream. Besides, a good whiff of CO2 and some CO, hot water vapor, condensible hydrocarbon chains, etc might make the knees wobbly and the next you know the ground is rushing up to whack you on the head! Please be careful.
  4. hobbyheater

hobbyheater Minister of Fire

Thanks good advice !
  5. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Maybe instead it'll give you a good high so the fall would be painless.

Har.