Blue or American?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
What kind of Beech?

Attachments

• beech.jpg
    beech.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 481
smokinjay said:
What kind of Beech?

I'll say American Beech. Smokin we hit -30.5 this morning.

Zap

I'd say American. Its way too big to be American Hornbeam or Blue Beech.
Blue Beech is about the same size of its cousin,Eastern Hophornbeam or Ironwood. 1ft diameter max,30 ft tall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Hornbeam

Jay,is it tough to split? I've heard it can be,though obviously not as bad as American Elm.Dont have any Beech around here unfortunately.I'd love to try some sometime.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
What kind of Beech?

I'll say American Beech. Smokin we hit -30.5 this morning.

Zap

I forgot about a few weapon's until Lee mention it. I have a big stack of hickory lumber and a lot of cookies (Playing racesaws lol) That makes a very Hot fire. Be A little more ready for the next Cold Snap! Will be HERE Sunday!

Thistle said:
Blue Beech is about the same size of its cousin,Eastern Hophornbeam or Ironwood. 1ft diameter max,30 ft tall.

Jay,is it tough to split? I've heard it can be,though obviously not as bad as American Elm.Dont have any Beech around here unfortunately.I'd love to try some sometime.

I have been told all my life that its blue beech learn something everyday...This one was 31 inchs across.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

I have been told all my life that its blue beech learn something everyday...This one was 31 inchs across.

Holy Crap thats a nice one. I see 4" thick milled planks,air-dried 10 yrs & used in making a traditional cabinetmaker's bench,same stuff they used 100 yrs ago here (along with Hard Maple) & still use in high-dollar European benches today...But thats just me.. ;-P

I know a guy,well known antique tool dealer in NE PA,he made his main bench from 3" & 4" thick air-dried Red Oak & Black Locust.Told me it must weigh 400 pounds,the legs are 4 x 6's. :lol:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Holy Crap thats a nice one. I see 4" thick milled planks,air-dried 10 yrs & used in making a traditional cabinetmaker's bench,same stuff they used 100 yrs ago here (along with Hard Maple) & still use in high-dollar European benches today...But thats just me.. ;-P

I know a guy,well known antique tool dealer in NE PA,he made his main bench from 3" & 4" thick air-dried Red Oak & Black Locust.Told me it must weigh 400 pounds,the legs are 4 x 6's. :lol:

Yea it was very clean tree too! I bought my mill shortly after this, when my Dad through a fit....He has a cabinet shop now for over 50+ years and buys all local hardwoods. I need a 36 inch+ hardwood now! lol My avatar is a 44 inch red oak.

yep, American beech. Blue beech will look like there's a bunch of muscles underneath the bark, and typically doesn't get that big. blue beech usually grows on wet sites.

yeah, what the other guys said.

way way too big to be "blue beech" /hornbeam/ironwood - which is usually no bigger around than an arm or a let, and definitely muscley or fluted looking.

some of the hardest wood I ever tried to split was some knotty american beech. we salvaged some from a clearcut that was left, and we pounded and pounded on those rounds, the maul would just bounce off. we finally took them and tossed them in the woods.

FLINT said:

way way too big to be "blue beech" /hornbeam/ironwood - which is usually no bigger around than an arm or a let, and definitely muscley or fluted looking.

some of the hardest wood I ever tried to split was some knotty american beech. we salvaged some from a clearcut that was left, and we pounded and pounded on those rounds, the maul would just bounce off. we finally took them and tossed them in the woods.

I like to follow lazy azz guys around the woods and get all the best FW :coolsmile:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
FLINT said:

I like to follow lazy azz guys around the woods and get all the best FW :coolsmile:

I hear ya. I dont leave anything behind thats still sound,no matter how gnarly or full of knots it may be.Its no big deal to leave them in a pile at your work area then quarter them with the saw if need be later on.Even just making a cut 3-4 inches into the end will sometimes do the trick.

Well, some do call it blue beech because of the color of the bark but it is regular old beech and some very nice wood you have there Jay.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well, some do call it blue beech because of the color of the bark but it is regular old beech and some very nice wood you have there Jay.

I am burning this right now Denis, This was cut july 2009. I think. Just wanted to figure out for sure what I had.

Jay, those things get some nice nuts on them too. Deer love them! So do bears and turkeys and porkies, etc.

Hard to get them before wildlife does I've heard.Tastes similar to white oak acorn I think.

How did it split Jay? I got a bunch in the 2 to 3 ft range the past couple of years. It seemed to load up the splitter a bit before it popped open.

SolarAndWood said:
How did it split Jay? I got a bunch in the 2 to 3 ft range the past couple of years. It seemed to load up the splitter a bit before it popped open.

Tough rounds.

SolarAndWood said:

Solar the load of logs last year (Feb) was mostly beech and split nice when frozen. :zip:

zap

American beech for sure. Blue beech is an understory species, that would be the world record if it was blue beech.

zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

Solar the load of logs last year (Feb) was mostly beech and split nice when frozen. :zip:

zap

That's what I found with the smaller stuff. But when I got to the big stuff it would load the splitter down until the round blew apart and gave a small thunderclap when it did. Those rounds were some of the relatively few times I have noticed the splitter go into high pressure mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.