blue spruce trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Anyone Know whats causing the needles to fall off the ends ?

Attachments

• blue spruce truble.jpg
    blue spruce truble.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 601
  • bs1.jpg
    bs1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 589
I do not know, but mine are doing the same thing, once they get about 5-6 m high (maybe 20').
The native white spruce immediately adjacent are fine.
I have noticed that in my climate (New Brunswick, acidic soil, acid rain) the blue spruce generally do not seem to thrive once they get to 6 m or so.
They were popular ornamentals here 30-40 years ago, but it does seem to work out well.

Did you notice any small "worms" rappelling on silk threads? The Spruce Budworm does that kind of damage.

our problem was deer thrashing them when they got about 10' tall. tore the bottom branches all to heck, they never did recover. we planted 6 when the house was built in '96, cut the last one down last week after watching it slowly die over the last two years.

Didn't see any worms or insects on the tree. It is around 20' tall. First year I've noticed it. Not deer some of it is high up. The other species of pine in the yard look fine.

No drought.

My parents had some big spruce trees on the south side of their house. They were about 25 years old and 30 or 40 feet high when the same thing started happening. I believe they were told it was some kind of fungus. It started with one tree and eventually got most of them. They've taken some down. The trees that are left don't look to healthy......

Are the trees near the road or a driveway? Could it be salt damage?

Looks to be Aphids to me take a white piece of paper and hold under the limb shake the limb so that it fall onto the paper, then take your hand and run it across the paper and if it leaves red streaks across the paper you have Aphids damage and is very common! (in conifers.) Ahids are to small to see and the only way to tell is by the blood trail they leave on paper.

Looks to me like the result of last years bagworm damage, you will know in a few months if it is covered again with them, although I dont see any in the pics :-O

Mine are on a town lot, so not too far from the street, but they have a thriving hedge of white spruce between the street and dying blue spruce.
Interesting aphid idea, I will check that. The chickadees are active in these trees, so they must be eating something.
Doug

Looks like Saw Flies have been eating them. They are real thin green worms that point at you if you get close.
My trees looked just like yours do. Sprayed them with Seven real well they were all dead the next day.
Might be a good idea to cut off the dead parts, good luck.

Mine is fairly close to the road but I live on a back street that don't see much salt. could be possible though. I'll have to try the aphid test tommarow.

Well here's an update. The stuff I thought was dead all has new growth on it. looks nice and healthy. Must have been a groth spurt ? None of the smaller blue spruce did it and it was the first year I seen the larger one do that.
A friend said that its normal.

woodsmaster said:
Well here's an update. The stuff I thought was dead all has new growth on it. looks nice and healthy. Must have been a groth spurt ? None of the smaller blue spruce did it and it was the first year I seen the larger one do that.

did the north side of the tree do better than the rest of the tree?

woodsmaster said:

A growth spurt could/would follow an insect/fungal defoliation.
Or despite one.

I'd bet you have a fungus that affects spruce in your area, causing a needle drop, which can be sudden and/or occur over the Winter with a Spring repair or regrowth.

Search online or county extension for needle drop in your area and type of tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.