Blue stone as a hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich

Nov 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I live in Northeast PA, and we have a lot of rock quarries and bluestone in this area. I have a couple pieces of very nice, very large rectangular cut bluestone. As long as they are the right size according to specs (distance from edge to front of stove, side of stove, etc) is blue stone a useable material for a hearth? I was going to build a pedestal out of brick or decorative stone, and set the big piece of bluestone on top. This is all going on top of linolium.

I had slabs of that for the old stove. When I had the house surveyed for the newer stove (twice) both said they were a no go cause of the cracks where they joined up. So I gave up and got a hearth pad.

savage - interesting...did you have the joints between slabs pointed or were they just open air gaps?

Seems like if you stick frame the hearth, brick (or brick tile) face it, cement fireboard or a hearth pad on top and set bluestone on top of that you'd be more than safe. Might want to beef up the lower floor's framing below the hearth and add a lolly column or two just to be sure you are fully overdoing it.

One of the hearths in my house is bluestone - elevated in front of a fireplace. I'm thinking about a second stove in this fireplace and that is how I planned to extend the existing hearth.

savageactor7 said:
I had slabs of that for the old stove. When I had the house surveyed for the newer stove (twice) both said they were a no go cause of the cracks where they joined up. So I gave up and got a hearth pad.

I've had a bluestone hearth for over 20 years and it passed inspection. It is mortared between the bluestone pieces. My stove has a heatshield underneath so the bluestone stays cool.

On another note I am really interested in your stove and eventually I want to get one. I need to devise a way of installing it so I can remove the pipe for cleaning without having to move the stove. At 475 lbs. I don't ever want to move it after placing it... Is this possible or am I asking too much? Is there some sort of slip pipe I could use? My current stovepipe arrangement goes up about 3' then to a 45 and then 90's into the chimney.. How is your stovepipe set up?

Ray

We installed blue stone for our hearth and we love it - so did the inspector. We did have to put a layer of 1/2 inch micore (sp?) down prior to mortaring in the stone, but it sure wasn't hard to do and it looks great.

Meathead our blue stone slabs were not mortared...we just joined 'em up as close as we could together and I don't think you could get a credit card between 'em. We wanted a non permanent hearth so we can re-carpet as needed, the stove is by a high traffic area near a staircase. Wall to wall to so inexpensive today I rather re-carpet than dick with a wood floor that's why we settled for a hearth pad. Our blue stone was 2 1/2 thick and the 3 stones, if joined permanently would be to heavy for me.

raybonz you talking to me???

I have a QF4300st and regardless of stove you should be able to remove any pipe off a free standing stove for cleaning...without moving the stove. Just juggle a little from the bottom then the top and repeat until done. Then again were going into a thimble and that does make easier.

The trick is to put something underneath the stone that provides an impenetrable shield to embers. A sheet of metal might suffice if the hearth requirements are light. If not, some micore and/or a sheet of cement board might work. As further insurance some fine sand can be worked into the joints.

Thanks for the replies. I think you guys misunderstand me though, I am talking about one LARGE piece of bluestone, not many small pieces. So gaps are not an issue.

^well our bluestone was slightly less than half a city city sidewalk square...it took 3 for the pad.

savageactor7 said:
Meathead our blue stone slabs were not mortared...we just joined 'em up as close as we could together and I don't think you could get a credit card between 'em. We wanted a non permanent hearth so we can re-carpet as needed, the stove is by a high traffic area near a staircase. Wall to wall to so inexpensive today I rather re-carpet than dick with a wood floor that's why we settled for a hearth pad. Our blue stone was 2 1/2 thick and the 3 stones, if joined permanently would be to heavy for me.

raybonz you talking to me???

I have a QF4300st and regardless of stove you should be able to remove any pipe off a free standing stove for cleaning...without moving the stove. Just juggle a little from the bottom then the top and repeat until done. Then again were going into a thimble and that does make easier.

Sorry I confused you with someone that had a soapstone stove...

Ray

I have a solid one piece blue stone hearth, the stone is 1 1/2" thick and looks great. yes it is acceptable

Links to our latest blue stone heart in the sig below. We built two others in our previous home, all one piece. 6-8 feet wide, 24" deep, and 2-3" thick.

The only consideration I think you would have is if your stove needs r value insulation on the hearth, and the bluestone is sitting on combustionables ???

Links to our latest blue stone heart in the sig below. We built two others in our previous home, all one piece. 6-8 feet wide, 24" deep, and 2-3" thick.

The only consideration I think you would have is if your stove needs r value insulation on the hearth, and the bluestone is sitting on a combustionable surface ???

madison said:
The only consideration I think you would have is if your stove needs r value insulation on the hearth, and the bluestone is sitting on combustionables ???
The bluestone is sitting on concrete blocks and the blocks are sitting on linolium. I left an airgap between the blocks for airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.