Blue walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewmonster

Burning Hunk
Jan 6, 2011
Central NJ
The power company did some trimming across the road and, of course, I scarfed up as much as I could. It was mostly young black walnut and some black cherry. After cutting and splitting I noticed the split faces of the walnut turning blue-green. Sap reacting with the air? These were very young trees, hardly any heartwood, mostly white sapwood. Can anyone explain what might be going on chemically to create this color?

I dont know about the color change, but I want pics please! ==c

DSCF0038.JPG DSCF0039.JPG

Cut with a blue bar?==c Not a clue. I've cut a lot of walnut too.

I have cut a lot of walnut and it has always formed blue streaks. They seem to appear minutes after cutting and disappear as it seasons. I split it after it sat for a while and didn't see any blue. Figured it was some reaction with bar oil or sap and air? The others I was cutting with did not know what it is either.

Ive never seen that color in wood. Its copper sulfate in metal. But in wood??
Great pics...nice and clear.
Great shots to see actual walnut bark.

Blue tress in NJ? Not unexpected.;lol

We have quite a bit of pine beetle damage to pine trees. When you take one to the sawmill invariably you will get a good yield of beautiful blue pine boards that some people will pay well for. I wonder if there is a similar pest that is causing the same reaction in the walnut wood? Is there a walnut beetle or worm in your area?

Not sure about walnut but maple can get quite a stain if cut at the wrong time of year.

An acquaintance and his brother used to buy figured maple on the stump and would resell it for musical instruments. They one time bought a maple cut in the wrong season and ended up with some really expensive firewood.

The stain is some sort of fungus that moves right into the wood.

almost looks like a fungus to me

Sure does. Thing is, though, the wood was nice and white when cut, then the color appeared within an hour.

As for "walnut beetle or worm," I'm not aware of any, but my knowledge is limited. At least I didn't see anything on or in the wood.

probably because of being exposed to the air,,,same as the heartwood is sometimes bright green,,then turns brown when exposed to the air.

Weird, I would have thought fungus for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.