Bluestone for a floor hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletizer

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Pellet County N.H.
I am wondering if anyone has ever used Bluestone as a floor hearth with a Pellet stove?
I was thinking of using 2” Bluestone over a hardwood floor and am being told that I would not need any other layers of floor protection? The pellet stove is an Englander 25 PDVC and Bluestone would be cut slightly larger than Englanders min protection specs. Thx.

Should work fine and look really sharp.

You're talking about 'slate' right? Cause for over 25 years we've used 2 sections of bluestone under our wood stove ...I think it ended up being 48" square. Unfortunately with the new stove and code I had to purchase a conventional hearth pad cause ...well just because. anyway if the stone meets the clearances you could be OK depending on the 'code' officer because you'd be using 2 units of stone and even though they may match up tight...it could still be an issue code wise...

....whoops then again pellet stoves are not wood stoves...so go with what BG said.

Thanks for the input looks like the Bluestone will be the deal,
It would be 1 layer of 2" thick bluestone.
BG looks like your Avitar pic is a Jotul # 3 Very nice stove we had one in our last home!

Status
Not open for further replies.