Bluestone hearth edges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holg

Feb 4, 2011
northern WI
I am about to build a hearth for our Heritage. Along with the necessary under framing, a couple of layers of Durock NextGen and a layer of micor for the necessary R value, the plan is a top layer of mortared in place irregular ~1.5" Bluestone flagstone. I'll be doing the hearth, the mason will be doing the top along with some rock work behind the stove. The top will overhang the base ~1/2". As the base is irregularly shaped, the bluestone will be also. I have some concerns that it may be an ankle scraper with rough edges. Anyone used bluestone with irregular edges and finish them somehow to make them less sharp? My mason is a real craftsman, and I am sure he has already considered this and probably has some excellent thoughts, but he is on vacation and we won't discuss this until he returns. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know and I can mull them over or bounce them off the mason when he's back.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.