Bluestone hearth thickness ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cabinner

Aug 2, 2013
NY
Hey,

I am building my tiny 12'x12' cabin with lofted space. The ceiling is 13ft. I wish to buy the Englander
17-VL. I will make a ventilated air space to cut on my clearance. The stove will be in a corner.

From reading the englander manual and some guides on clearance from combustibles - My hearth should be 36" x 36".

I want to use a one piece bluestone. How thick it needs to be?

The 17-VL needs an R=.5 hearth. Bluestone has an R value of about R=.1/inch. If you laydown a sheet of Durock NexGen first under the bluestone, then 1" thick bluestone should suffice.If you want more protection either add another 1/2" of Durock or make the bluestone 2".

Before trying to reduce clearances for the stove with a wall shield you need to contact Englander. They do not specify an allowable clearance reduction from protected walls in the stove manual. It may be fine, but I would get it in writing from Englander for inspection and insurance purposes.

Thank you so much for your help begreen.

I thought that stove companies provide clearance from combustibles and then you can reduce that clearance by using different methods.. Which makes it seem logical that they will not list distance from ventilated walls as they do not know if you will use such method. I guess that is not true?

Some test for NFPA 211 protected walls and some do not. Testing is costly. If the manual does not permit a clearance reduction you need to work with the listed clearances or get a written variance from the company or at least the inspecting authority.

begreen, do I not recall a reduction to 2/3 for any surface using a wall shield, or does that only apply to the standard 36" clearance for un-tested configurations?

It varies from stove to stove. Some companies test and list the reduced clearances. Some say that clearance can be reduced with an approved wall shield, but don't list the reduction. And other companies say nothing about clearance reduction. We've had folks insist that this only applies to the 36" rule, but take a look at the Defiant 2n1 docs where they have a dramatic clearance reduction (under 12") using a wall shield and even show in detail how to build one. Confusing, eh?

defiant 2n1.JPG

Personally I think mfgs. will sell more stoves it they test, certify and document clearances using an approved wall shield.

Reactions: PapaDave
No, not always true. What stove is in the cabin?

No stove yet... I am still building the cabin....

I was counting on this 2/3 reduction... I don't need to follow any code (this is off grid cabin) but I will not risk myself or my family... How do I do this correctly?

Paging stoveguy2esw...

No stove yet... I am still building the cabin....

I was counting on this 2/3 reduction... I don't need to follow any code (this is off grid cabin) but I will not risk myself or my family... How do I do this correctly?

The permitted 6" corner clearance for the 17-VL is already pretty tight. How close to the corner walls are you trying to install the stove? Maybe putting a woodstove in a 144 sq ft space is not the best plan? That is smaller than our bedroom. Is there electric in the cabin? If so, that would be my choice. If not, a small, vented, thermostatically controlled propane heater would be next.

... Or a wood stove designed for a boat!

The cabin height is 13.5 ft and the walls are only 3.5" (2x4s) so it is not that insulated.... Also, there are several huge windows (80x30") so this stove should work well for me...

In the least, be sure to install an outside air kit. That is a small space even with the 13' ceilings.

Reactions: Ashful
begreen - I am going to do that. I will soon show some pictures of my cabin and discuss with you guys how to build and connect my chimney system..

I spoke with Mike which was extremely helpful and nice. I now have a better understanding of clearance. I also found a great price on this stove at Dixie products .com

$499 with free shipping... I couldn't find a better price anywhere...

Sweet deal. Mike's a regular here and a credit to the industry. I always find it amazing that a high volume mfg. has such good support. That speaks highly of Englander.

begreen - I am going to do that. I will soon show some pictures of my cabin and discuss with you guys how to build and connect my chimney system..

I spoke with Mike which was extremely helpful and nice. I now have a better understanding of clearance. I also found a great price on this stove at Dixie products .com

$499 with free shipping... I couldn't find a better price anywhere...

enjoyed our chat today, just seemed simpler to do over the phone than try to type out an explanation (especially on my smartphone ugg)

i forgot about Dixie products , they do seem to have some pretty good deals as well, glad you found them.

Status
Not open for further replies.