Bluestone R value ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holg

Feb 4, 2011
northern WI
I reviewed some prior threads and spent some time on-line, and could not come up with R values for bluestone. The Forum has some estimates of 0.08 to 0.15 per 1 inch thickness, but nothing I could use as "official" in case my insurance carrier would like to know.

The reason I am asking is that the Hearthstone Heritage, prior to the more recent models of putting it up on taller legs, requires an R of 1.2. My hearth plan is:

MATERIAL R VALUE

Frame and plywood frame top Nothing
3 layers of 1/2" Durock: 0.39 each 1.17
3 layers of ~ 1/8" Thin set 0.05 each (0.40 per inch) 0.15
Total: 1.32

Then I will have a layer of 1.25" bluestone on top.

Knowing the bluestone value would be helpful if using the thinset values raises eyebrows.

So if anyone knows, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This source lists 0.079 for sandstone. That's pretty darn low (as is normal for rock) and probably about as close as your are going to get. Err on the low side and if you still have what you need, you are golden.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm

When I first saw it's R-value years ago I cringed as I think of all the old wood stoves I've seen over the years set above a hardwood floor with nothing but a 1.5 to 2 inch thick piece of bluestone underneath <>

pen

It shouldn't matter. I mean, you've got your required R-value in the Durock itself, seeing as how keeping the hundredths place is a little silly. I would just roll with it knowing the obvious fact that you have more than enough. If anyone throws a fit (which I highly doubt), you could contact various stone suppliers/quarries and get an answer. I wouldn't go through the hassle unless someone asks

It shouldn't matter. I mean, you've got your required R-value in the Durock itself, seeing as how keeping the hundredths place is a little silly. I would just roll with it knowing the obvious fact that you have more than enough. If anyone throws a fit (which I highly doubt), you could contact various stone suppliers/quarries and get an answer. I wouldn't go through the hassle unless someone asks
Wualie and pen--thanks for the advice. Think I'll go with what I have and call it good.

where did you get get the r value for the Durock? Hearthstone lis it at only .20

Hearthstone got it wrong. That sounds more like Hardibacker's R value. The original Durock cement board had an R value of .52 per inch or .26/ .5". Durock NexGen is all you can get now. It has an R value of .78 per inch or .39/ .5" sheet. Tom at the Chimneysweep has a pretty good, up to date chart. Pen listed the link above.

Status
Not open for further replies.