BMW Gina concept car

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That 'Lorenzo' or whatever it is called... at 1000 lbs and 13K... that is what our 'Last Three' had better get their ass@s working on, like yesterday, cuz if they don't-
they will be gone. I'm originally from Detroit- and old enough to remember the last 'fuel crisis'. The "Three"s idea's were to come out with smaller 'junk' cars. Didn't fly then- won't fly now.

All the average person needs is a small, dependable, inexpensive fuel efficent car of good quality. It is not 'rocket science', and is well within our modern abilities.

My only concern- I drive 35 miles, each way- 3 days a week to work- in 'all' weather and 'poor' roads. I can't see 'all electric' cutting it. And I must have reliablity and stoutness for those roads- I don't know if the 'Lorenzo' is 'stout' enough- (looks like a small sports car...fun !). Still- I think something like a 'monster go-cart' is do-able. Was looking at the Honda "Rucus"- while not a car, looks like fun.

Sourdough - I'm in a similar situation. I have looked at smaller cars/trucks and simply cannot imagine them in my situation. Gravel road that is always in bad shape. Country living means the roads MAY get plowed in the winter, but not always. I have a jeep grand cherokee (All wheel drive V8), that handles it pretty well, but sometimes I have to get the big blue dodge Ram 4 x 4 out, just to get to work. Really torn. I like some of the new stuff coming out, but really question if they could handle my surroundings.

I'm sure I would have rocks puncturing the cloth on that BMW, just ask my windshield. Heck, theres times that the pot holes in my road have enough water in them to gush over the top of my truck when I hit them (and its about 6.5 ft tall). And I ain't movin'

I have been in trouble (not really) at work because they say, if your gonna go 4 wheelin', wash the dang thing before you come to work so you don't drip mud all over the parking lot. Hmmph....that was just GETTING to work.

Problem is that the smaller cars have trouble meeting minimum crash standards in the US. They can do it, but it's not cheap nor easy on most subcompacts with such a light weight.

TMonter said:
Problem is that the smaller cars have trouble meeting minimum crash standards in the US. They can do it, but it's not cheap nor easy on most subcompacts with such a light weight.

Yea- that is the joke. "Minimum" is a relative word, isn't it ? I am not so worried about a crash at 40 mph cuz if you get into a crash with a tree or a truck- you are going to get hurt- maybe a little, maybe a lot. But, with these new cars- if you run hit something at 5 mph- it is going to cost THOUSANDS $$$. I know, I know- they are suppost to 'fold', yea- thats a nice 'feature'. I just don't want to have a multi-thousand dollar car get all messed up from a 'minor' bender.

Here I go talking crazy again....
Since we have done away with mass transit- expecilly in the ruael areas, how about everyone having a small, dependable, inexpensive and fuel efficent car ( or el camino type wagon) that is completly standardized- so that the parts of one would fit on any one, (KIS) ??? And, you can paint yours any wild color scheme you want- so your's would look different from anyone elses. Make it the law that in 5 years- they would be the only kind of cars allowed on interstates, but 'classic' cars would still be allowed on all other roads for 10 more years. That would fix the 'high speed crash/ mis-match' problem.

I still with you JAG- my roads are C**P too. Pot holes ( more like open-pit mining !), rocks, gravel, tree limbs and some places they even call 'paved' (HA !). I have to get an alighment twice a year...if I am careful- and I am. So what ever they come up with has to be tough- and I don't care so much if it is 'pretty'.

For the record- my car is a 2004 Subaru Forester, 100K miles- I have to have AWD, cuz eight friday nights in a row this past winter- I had to drive home 35 miles at 11 pm in a snowstorm ! AWD, Dependabily and Grippy Tires are a must here.

Come- on Detroit: Call- I will help you build "A Car, That You Can Believe In !" (TM & Copyrighted, 2008 by R.L.Taylor)

Status
Not open for further replies.