boat trailer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I have an offer for a very nice free boat up in Lake ontario. It has no trailor. My trailer is a single axle 3500 lb capacity. I believe the boat is in the 5000 lb range. I will be hauling on the highway about 300 miles. I know most trailors are over rated but this boat seems a bit too heavy for my trailor. also I have no brake set up on my trailor. I will be hauling it with a heavy duty box truck so weight and brakes will be no problem for the truck. Should I take the chance or try to add and axle to my trailor.???
Mike

I'd try an add another axle 300 mile is long way when pulling something that overloaded.
cause its not just the trailer thats 1500lbs over, the tires also will be carrying more than they should be.
I'd play it safe and either rent a bigger trailer or put a third axle on the current one.

I think a trailer that heavy also needs brakes, but if the truck is big enough, I would rent or borrow a bigger trailer. Keep in mind that boat trailers usually are kinda rusty and corroded. My father had one break an axle in the driveway one day. It would have been a disaster if it were moving at the time...

Chris

Thats a good point about the rusty old trailer. after some thought I have decided to live a little longer and find a better trailer. It's just too risky. If I was only going on back roads for 10 or 20 miles I might be inclined to take the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.