Boating Forum?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipTam

Burning Hunk
I'm in the market for a small used fishing boat (something around 18 feet but suitable for the ocean). There are several internet directories for used boats and I've found many boats out there which would fit the bill. However, it would be nice to get some advice or opinions regarding brands of boats, motors, etc. I've checked google and, so far, I haven't found a forum or chat room devoted to boating. Does anyone here know of a hearth.com style forum but for boats?

iboats? Give it a whirl. Why not ask questions here too? There's a few of us that spend the warm months on the water.....

Sorry, but I would only be comfortable recommending a BA website (boating anonymous).

I use my firewood obsession to get my mind of my boat problems...

18 ft and suitable for the ocean? And that's cold rough water up your way.....

I'd be looking alittle bigger - maybe a center console. Boat trader.com ?

Basswidow,
18 feet is suitable for the ocean. There are a lot of boats that size up there. But, I wouldn't want to go much smaller or go with any boat with low gunnels. I am looking at center-consoles and would probably prefer a center-console. A buddy has one with a 90 HP Yamaha on it.....a very nice rig. Yes, boattrader.com is a good source for used boats....lots of choices there. However, I guess I'm still at the kicking tire stage. Thanks for your input.
ChipTam

the hull truth for ocean going boats

Buddy of mine had an I think 18' starcraft aluminum center console. We took it out in the ocean many time. No turlit though. Our 17' runabout goes in the salt no problem. When I had time we would end the season in Early November when the cod were in close to shore.

You could try www.boatered.com . They are geared more towards an I/O & inboard cruising type boater.

www.thehulltruth.com is geared more towards the outboard powered fishing type boater.

Once you have narrowed your search down to a few specific brands, then you can google for forums on those boat brands.
Al

P.S. Please take some power squadron or Coast guard boating courses. You will not regret doing so.

Have finally found some time to check out a couple of the boating sites recommended here. The hulltruth looks like an excellent site and most like hearth.com. Thanks to the webmaster, wahoodwad, and lobsta 1 for that suggestion. Also, iboats looks good. Thanks to czech, and Bondo for that recommendation. So far, on those sites, I've only put my toe in the water (so to speak) but I suspect they'll both be helpfull in my search for a good used boat.
ChipTam

I'm on iboats since I just got handed down dads 68 (I think) Starcraft Holiday 18'. Not in bad shape considering its sat for 15 years atleast... but is going to take a lot of work.

I can say I boats has a huge amount of starcraft fans and tons of in depth resto threads if you happen to get an old starcraft.

IMG_1027.jpg

Its nice to see the Starcraft armada take over another forum. You cant beat a Aluminum boat with a outboard.
Light weight hull for a great power to weight ratio. I also recomend IBOATS.

Status
Not open for further replies.