Boiler Assessories

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfect Heat

Feb 1, 2008
Ontario Canada

Hi,
Just recently came across this forum and have gained from the vast amount of knowledge demonstrated. I am in the process of installing a wood heated boiler system and was wondering where the forum members have purchased their boiler accessories. I am looking for sources for the control system, thermostat, expansion tank, fittings, thermostatic valves, air separator, pumps, and water to air heat exchanger that would fit into existing duct work. Basically everything other than the boiler itself needed for installation. Also, are some brands better quality than others. Thanks for your recommendations.

Terry

Terry, I bought most of my accessories form Cozy Heat, where I purchased the boiler. Found prices were cheaper than my supply houses that I deal with. Figured if I had to pay for shipping of the boiler might as well get everything. My only suggestions
are, go with a spirovent or sparco air eliminator they work excellent and have a 20 year warranty( at least the spirovent has, which I have). I also installed a Danfoss mixing valve, (no gaskets) cause I had a mishap with mine due to installation error, which I went into detail in another thread "eko2nd year burning" Good luck and hope this helps, Great site for info, alot of knowagable people here. P.S. Have pictures of my water to air exchangeres in there also
Keith

I would second Cozy Heat. I bought my boiler and many of my accesories (pex, etc) from them. Also, if you know exactly what you want, then Ebay is a good (and fun) way to save money. But if there's any doubt, you can't beat talking to somebody who knows what you're talking about (even if you don't).

BTW, welcome to the Boiler Room, Perfect Heat. Sounds like you came to the right place. Tell us a little bit about your system.

I second buying from your dealer/supplier for critical components, unless you really know what you're doing. I used my Tarm dealer for Termovar mixing valve, Automag overheat valve, air purger and expansion tank. I used Ebay for other valves and fittings, which are much less expensive than Home Depot type sources, but often having to buy more or a mix of things that not needed. Then re-sold excess on Ebay when I was done.

I got the Termover and automag from Tarm but I got the rest from Grainger.com, except the pipe, I got local.

Thanks for the replies.

Eric not much to tell about my system yet. I researched and purchased an AHS Wood Gun (hopefully this was a wise choice). It currently is sitting in an insulated shed approx 75 ft from my house. After finding this site and talking to various subject matter experts (at list they sounded like they knew what they were talking about) I have come to the conclusion there are many means to the end in finding the Holy Grail of system design. I am anxiously waiting for Nofossil tutorial thread with the “ultimate system with a few variations”.

Excellent site.

Remember “None of us is as smart as all of us”

As you get your wood gun up and running please keep us informed. I also looked at the wood gun and it looks like a good boiler. I went and saw one inuse and liked it. I know one person here in Michigan that has one and he has checked into this forum but not posted. It would be good to hear from more wood gun owners.
leaddog

It will be great to have a Wood Gun owner on this site. You'll be the first that I'm aware of. I saw one of those boilers at a trade show last summer and was much impressed. Really high quality manufacturing and design, from what I could see. I choked on the price. But I have a lot of questions about those boilers that I hope you'll be able to answer.

And yes, there are many ways to pipe these things up. I would recommend nofossil's site as well as the sticky originated by master or sparks at the top of the forum. Great places to start, IMO.

Leaddog

Would you be able to PM me the name/contact info of the person in your area that has the wood gun? I wouldn't mind touching base with him. Thanks

I will endeavour to keep the forum posted on my progress

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.