Boiler Explosion.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was on fire dept in Twin Cites would hear of a couple a year. Usually someone was to cheap to replace the safety valve when it started to leak so they stick in a plug. Myth Busters did a good eye opening experiment. Often times the house is moved off foundations. Saw the remains of a water heater that went through a two story home and landed in the middle of the street and killed a poor dog.

When I was on fire dept in Twin Cites would hear of a couple a year. Usually someone was to cheap to replace the safety valve when it started to leak so they stick in a plug. Myth Busters did a good eye opening experiment. Often times the house is moved off foundations. Saw the remains of a water heater that went through a two story home and landed in the middle of the street and killed a poor dog.
I saw that once also, didn't kill any dogs. It's a scary thing, kinda like sitting just under an electric transformer when they blow, scare the **** out of you!

We use tankless water heaters, they're a bit safer. Just that they're powered with propane, kinda raises the stakes back up.o_O

Transformers blowing are a spectacular event too. Eating breakfast on the old farm in fall as we were trying to dry corn and we were overloading the old transformer and watched it blow only 50 feet away from the house.
Leaking propane into basements use to move a lot of houses when the gas got to the pilot light.

Status
Not open for further replies.