1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Boiler fuel strategy when things get cold?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Gasifier, Jan 21, 2013.

1. willyswagon

willyswagon Burning Hunk

Loc:
    PEI, Canada
    Solar heating it does the wallet good!!
    Add a gasification boiler and you can all but say bye bye to the oil man
    ;)
    [​IMG]

Now I need to find a source of beech for next years wood supply.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    Wouldn't it be interesting to know how much oil is not burned by all the members of this forum collectively? It must average at least about 1000 gallons per member.
  3. henfruit

henfruit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Hampshire-Maine border
    I think we are going to get a tax credit for all the oil we do not use.It is part of the new health care law.
  4. Maine is more likely to tax us for the trees we burn.
    BoilerBob likes this.
  5. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    -17 and some wind at 6am. Basement charged to 80 between 7-9:30. 1/8 of load left at 5:30 this morning. Charging it again from 5:30-7:00 before we go to work/school. Suppose to have a high of -3 today with wind. o_O That wind makes a hell of a difference when it is this cold.

Attached Files:

6. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Yesterday we had no sun all day and a bit of a breeze. I lit the fire earlier than I ever have, at noon. Reloaded just before supper, then another half load around 9pm. Right now it's -20c outside, +20c inside, the sun is about to come out, and storage is 160 at top. I'll likely light today mid to late-afternoon or so again. But they're talking about more wind & windchill warnings, so that might change.

It's a cold snap, yessir - but this house has never been warmer.
  7. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    Usually no fires until 3 to 6pm. But today, -12f winds prompted to start one this am. Will need to keep burning until late into the night. My house is a big heat load in this weather. Supposed to be a high of -5f today, thurs and frday we'll be up to 5f. Thanks to the upper midwest and our Canadian friends, we got a cold snap going on.
  8. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Har, I thought the cold outside here was coming from you guys. :)
  9. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    -10 on the back porch at 05:30 this morning. I charged the basement up to use it as storage again last night. Boiler was empty when I came down this morning, besides some small red coals scattered around. I am thinking we must of had some wind last night. Although I did go to bed early. I use some pine cordwood split up small to throw onto the coals and away we go. Buffer tank was at 150. Caught it just in time, the oil boiler will come on when the temp in the top of the tank goes down to 140.

What kind of temps did you folks have this morning?
  10. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    -9c. But it's a cold -9, the blizzard hasn't quite left us yet - some decent north wind gusts out there.

The blizzard warmed things up - it had been down to the low -20's.

Guess it's about time to start the cleanup...
  11. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    I was at -3 this morning at 6:00. I watch the weather report on the Plattsburgh TV station and you guys in ths St Lawrance valley are always colder than we are. Just like summer here!
    Gasifier likes this.