boiler headache

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know about that but run my first outside boiler like that with no trouble.That
was the way I was told to do it and it did work,the new P&M I do use a HX works both ways.

To much research not enough money...... the options are huge going ro be alot of research before I invest. May just add a stove to basement to tide me overy for a bit ha

Reactions: flyingcow
To much research not enough money...... the options are huge going ro be alot of research before I invest. May just add a stove to basement to tide me overy for a bit ha
Without a doubt, that would provide the most bang for the buck, though it wouldn't help with domestic water.

Without a doubt, that would provide the most bang for the buck, though it wouldn't help with domestic water.
For us, the $20 per month it takes to run the electric water heater would make for a very poor ROI for a boiler...

I know what ya mean,took me mounts of research and talking to owners. The way
I look at it yes a big investment but there is payback for me $3-4 thousand a year
for fuel it will pay for itself in 3-4 years then all for next to nothing but some labor
It would be advantages to take out a note because there is payback and comfort
from a good unit. My 2cents

It would be quite easy to get a good estimate of how long storage would last if you have a Heat loss calculation for your house. I would guess many days 1 fire would do it.

Have you consider a garn 1500? For the increase in price you gain a lot with the 500 gallons of additional storage.

gg

The 1500 is now the same price as the 2000 so for all practical purposes, it no longer exists in the lineup.

Just love my P&M going on four years now,very little if any smoke twice a day loading seems like colder it gets the better it works.

Which points out the difference between batch burning like a Garn or cycling the fire like any unit without thermal storage of some kind.
Your P&M likes the colder weather because it is enjoying longer burn cycles. This makes for more consistent gasification burns rather than "short cycling" and not acheiving enough flame temp to really do what it can under more steady conditions.

FYI, earlier this summer I came across a used 60kw Tarm gasser for sale in the classified. The owner just bought an apartment building with this unit in it. Was switching over to a pellet boiler. 7 yrs unit. Has at least a 20+ yr life expentacy. 10k+ value new. Bought it for $1700.00. Resold for 4k a few weeks later.

Its worth looking in the classifieds in the spring.

The 1500 is now the same price as the 2000 so for all practical purposes, it no longer exists in the lineup.

Bummer, so much for dreaming of a 1500 for my next boiler...

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.