Boiler height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

e60982

Jan 24, 2009
ne mich
Should the owb be higher than the heat EX in furnace. I will have a domestic coil in my boiler also. Also does the line set for DHW need a seperate pump Thanks Windy

Is your OWB pressurized or does it run at atmospheric pressure? If you are atmospheric I think you need to be above the HX or at the very least level. Others will certainly chime in on this topic (I hope). If your boiler is below the HX and not pressurized I think you'll have some problems maintaining flow and water in the lines.

As for the DHW - many folks will run a side arm HX "on the way" to their in-furnace HX. If you do it this way you only need one pump....

Thanks, I kind of thought it would be better to have the boiler above HX. I will rethink my location now. Thanks Windy.

windyhill said:
Should the owb be higher than the heat EX in furnace. I will have a domestic coil in my boiler also. Also does the line set for DHW need a seperate pump Thanks Windy
No your boiler does not need to be above or level from your HX as long as your pump runs continuesly. My forced air HX is the highest point in my system that is open not pressurized, After I instaled my system though I added a air purge valve at the top feed of the HX because whenever I stoped and then restarted my pump it would take awile to get all the air out of the lines. So now I cap the vents on the stove, open the vent on the HX and fill. the only thing you will notice is that when you shut off the pump you can get a little over flow out of the stove vent. As for the DHW I plumbed mine in series so the water goes from the stove through the forced air HX, to the DHW HX, then back to stove. Good Luck hope this helps

fabguy01 said:
windyhill said:
No your boiler does not need to be above or level from your HX as long as your pump runs continuesly. My forced air HX is the highest point in my system that is open not pressurized, After I instaled my system though I added a air purge valve at the top feed of the HX because whenever I stoped and then restarted my pump it would take awile to get all the air out of the lines. So now I cap the vents on the stove, open the vent on the HX and fill. the only thing you will notice is that when you shut off the pump you can get a little over flow out of the stove vent. As for the DHW I plumbed mine in series so the water goes from the stove through the forced air HX, to the DHW HX, then back to stove. Good Luck hope this helps

I'm not sure having air in your system regularly is particularly good for it??? Certainly it sounds like your setup is working fine but I think if you had the choice you would certainly want the boiler above the HX to avoid the situation you describe above.

stee6043 said:
fabguy01 said:
windyhill said:

I'm not sure having air in your system regularly is particularly good for it??? Certainly it sounds like your setup is working fine but I think if you had the choice you would certainly want the boiler above the HX to avoid the situation you describe above.
Sorry for the confusing post. That is the reason for the air bleed, to get the air out of the system. I found with my original plumbing air was getting traped.

Thanks glad you wrote. Mine will be only slightly lower. I think it will work. My pump will run all the tim also. Reguards . Windy.

My heat exchanger is below my boiler but at the same time is above the pex lines coming in so it still traps air in the exchanger. Not too sure how the air gets in the system but it seems only to do it when the system pressure goes negative like when the fire goes out. Probably a combination of a slowly leaking boiler relief valve and the cooler water temps. Pressurizing the system back up to around 8 pounds compresses the air bubbles enough to force them through the lines and back up to the vent which is the highest part of my system.

Thanks. Mine will be ok I think. Close to level. Windy

Status
Not open for further replies.