Boiler instalation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet

Nov 11, 2008
Canada
I am replacing my oil boiler with an electric one as backup . My wood boiler is hooked up in parallel I think it is called . It has its own circulator and pumps the water through the oil boiler and back to the wood when the temperature reaches 190 degrees . I would like to hook the electric boiler up in the same way but the electric has 1 inch piping where as the wood boiler has 1 and 1/4 inch . My question is would reducing the water flow through the electric boiler by that amount be ok ? My current setup is simple wood/oil . I don't have any type of storage . Furnace room is too small for it anyway . Thanks

I don't think I would reduce the flow from 1 1/4 to 1 through the electric boiler. I would consider cutting the 1 1/4 and installing a flat plate heat exchanger then reducing the fittings on the other side of the exchanger to 1" and pipeing the electric boiler to those reduced fittings. It would be a seperate loop that could maintain the temps you need through the heat exchanger. Hope it makes sense and your not too confused? If you proceed just be sure to size the exchanger correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.