Boiler install support?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adk Patroller

Jun 4, 2008
Western Adirondacks, NY
I currently have a natural gas boiler system powered by a Weil McClain GV-5 140,000 btu HE boiler. This system has 4 zones/loops. first floor baseboard, second floor baseboard, in-direct water heater loop, and a radiant floor loop which feed the basement floor and a sun-room floor which are each controlled by separate mixing valves and pump circuits.

I am interested in an EKO, Tarm or similar wood gasification boiler and water storage system to hook into the existing system. I contacted my local boiler service and was told today that I would be looking at $14,000 to add an Econoburn 150,000 btu boiler and circuits. This does not include any water storage or the chimney system. I know for a fact that I can buy that boiler for $7,500. The tech got real sketchy when I pushed as to the additional cost for a boiler that was literally going to be sitting next to an existing system with relatively little additional plumbing. I have remodeled several houses in my life and am pretty handy running plumbing, sweating pipes, and basic wiring. I have also installed a few chimneys in my time.

With the heart.com forum support is it feasible to think that I could install my own system? Is there a delaler that would help in the design if I provided sketches and photos of the existing system?

I have one other local dealer to check with. I would like to step up to a wood boiler but $20,000 to add on to an existing system is not feasible. I can arrive at the same savings with two wood stoves for 1/3 of the cost and not have an electric bill to boot.

The gasifiers are worth the cost. You are right that the price with install sounds rather high. Buy the gasifier and get it into place where you need it to be yourself. I found a contractor who was willing to work along side me and I saved about half the labor cost that way. I also learned a lot. Be careful about voiding any warranties by doing it yourself. I know Tarm is particular about that. Not sure about the other brands. With a good design you probably could do it yourself if you needed to.

You can add the storage later or build your own like others here have done or are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.