boiler is in kitchen,not sealed off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

threebills22

Mar 12, 2015
new york
im not sure if this is in the right category but was looking for some help.I'm living in westchester county,ny.In my apartment our water boiler is located in the kitchen,next to our stove.Its totally open,not closed off.My question is does the landlord have to seal it off? build some walls around it?is that legal to have those fumes running around freely in the apartment?

What is the fuel source? Propane, Oil, Natural Gas......... Installation codes differ from liquid, vapor or solid fuels. I assume you want NFPA 54 for gas, posting in this forum; You need to look up the installation in the correct "Standard" written by NFPA. Local government can make codes stricter, so you need to consult with them as well. Any fuel burning appliance requires combustion air, so installing in an enclosure requires proper venting. Fumes from what? Boilers in basements are inside the building and should not emit any fumes when exhausted (vented) properly.
A CO detector in the same room as appliance will show the deadly gasses in the air to be concerned with.

Status
Not open for further replies.