boiler keeps idling storage not up to temp yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
Today is my first full out burn, my storage must first charge before I can circulate for dhw and heat. My boiler keeps going into idle but my incoming supply line only shows 150 deg and my tanks are showing about 130 on top. Return temp at boiler 150'away shop install is 100deg I have all ball valves open except for the bypass loop for the danfoss I just closed that all the way it was just cracked about a third. Do I need to gate back the boiler protection loop to send more heat to the tank?? I have been burning since 8:15 am and it is now 3:58pm. No pipes are insulated yet either are the tanks.
25 deg outside

Thank you,
Rob

If the boiler is idling and the return temp is 100 degrees then something is preventing flow. Boiler protection would be an obvious candidate.

I like to be able to send heat directly to loads and only to storage if I have more heat than the loads need.

Are you saying I need to gate my protection loop down or are you saying my danfoss is not working? I had the danfoss bypassed for a little while today with no change?

Rob

taxidermist said:
Are you saying I need to gate my protection loop down or are you saying my danfoss is not working? I had the danfoss bypassed for a little while today with no change?

Rob

Without a schematic it's pretty hard to guess exactly what's going on. I'd expect a 20 degree rise for water going through the boiler. If you're seeing a lot more than that, then you're not getting a high enough flow rate. Could be a flow restriction, could be you need a bigger circ, could be something I haven't thought of.

I gated back the protection loop and started to see return temps of 120 deg but still only 130 deg from the tanks. I havent seen idle in a while but I also cant get it past 160 deg now so I will keep playing.

What size piping did you use to connect the boiler, supply and return?

Know someone who is having a whale of a problem with a Greenwood 100 right now. Creosote and tar running out of the thing everywhere. Sit in a garage 100 ft away from his house. Connected underground with 1 inch PEX on supply and return.

Boiler continuously goes from high fire to shut down, repeatedly cycling. The only thing anyone can come up with is this. 1 inch PEX isn't enough water flow to remove the heat from the boiler. Boiler goes into high fire, heats up, and then shuts down because it's too hot. The poor guy has tried everything, and nothing works.

1 inch can't move more than 90K BTU... and 100 feet of 1 inch isn't likely to move even that due to friction loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.