Boiler lines sold by New Horizon Qualify for Tax Credit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IANAL, so I could be off, but far as I know, the IRS doesn't have any specific test that they require you to undergo specifically - as long as you can point to some sort of independent testing that shows you meet the relatively low standards required to qualify. Presumably the tests the boilers had to go through to meet the various EU standards would do for that.

Note that you aren't actually required to send in the certificate - you just tell the IRS that you installed something that qualified, and unless you get picked for an audit, you are all set.

If you did get audited, presumably you would be OK showing them the certificate showing that you were acting in good faith, and to disallow it they would have to go to NH and challenge their certification process... What I'm not sure about is what would happen if they did decide not to accept that certificate, which is VERY unlikely... Who is liable? Given that you presumably bought that unit rather than some other unit because you had a good faith belief that the certificate was legit, then the problem should fall on the certifier... Even if they did come back at you, I would expect the courts to rule in your favor if you went after the certifier in turn, but as I said, "IANAL"...

My bottom line - if the certificate was a factor in my purchasing decision, I would accept that one as legit...

Gooserider

I might be wrong, but from what I have been told the "Manufacturers Certificate of Compliance" must come directly from the manufacturer not an importer. And like you stated it will most likely only cause an issue if you are audited.

I actually bought my EKO 40 in very late DEC 08 but have yet to hook it up....for numerous reasons. I think I will call NH and ask a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.