boiler pipe through block wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2012
northern michigan
Was wondering if anyone here who has thier boiler located outside thier house has any sugestions on how to run my insulated pex line through the wall in my basement. The wall is made out of standard 16'' concrete blocks. The only thing i have found so far is the "manual" that the company rehau has put out on how to install the line. They say to put a 10.5" hole in the wall and then slip a neoprene ring over the line and then fill with concrete. Heres the manual http://www.rehau.com/linkableblob/U...ationGuide_855633_09-09-data.pdf?view=DEFAULT
They talk about coming through a wall on page 18. I guess im just not sure how to go about getting a 10.5" hole in my wall. So if anyone has a suggestion on how to go about this i would appreciate it.

why the need for 3" of clearance between pipe and side of hole? i drilled 4" hole and spray foamed around pipe, 10" poured foundation. jKu8TUE38.jpg

core drill, run the insulated line through, then use waterplug (hydraulic cement) & tar to seal foundation back up.

check concrete cutting companies. They will have core drill capabilities. You should also be able to rent one but I've noticed the rental charge is only a hundred or so cheaper than what a company will charge me.

How bout a hammer & chisel? Or even just a hammer? I have done that very thing on more than one occasion. Just my 2¢

Just saw that you have CMU foundation. Get a short piece of rebar, a good hammer, and start tapping. Fill with hydraulic concrete.
This is what I did on my previous house for a new sewer line.

I like to take my hammer drill and drill a bunch of small holes 1/4inch or so where the hole will be then use a chisel
or hammer. this way your not taking giant chunks out of the wall. Basically just mark where it goes then drill on the line.

BFH, it's just a concrete block. Shouldn't take more than 3 swings.

Just try to bust out half a block, lay an 8 inch length of schedule 40 PVC (whatever diameter you need) in and fill around it with hydraulic cement. The best way to handle the application of hyd. cement is to forget the tools and mix and apply the material with a gloved (vinyl) hand. By the time you get a trowel pointed in the right direction, the stuff has cured.

Status
Not open for further replies.