Boiler questions. Tank size? Lifespan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don L said:
I can't stand the thought of not being able to cut and burn wood. What would I do in my old age??

Being a logger who on average cuts 120 ton of wood a day buy hand, it gets old fast. When I am old I plan on fishing, and hunting ALOT! The only time I plan on using a chainsaw is to cut trees off the roads, and trails when I am fishing, and hunting. Thats providing the young fellas will cut the wood for the camp!

Don L said:
Just one question, how do you figure on getting FREE HEAT after 8 years?

When factoring in cost of oil/gas/electicity the unit will be payed off in 8, then the cost to run the Geothermal is minimal. A neibour close by says it costs him an average of 500-800 yearly for both heat, and air conditioning for a similar sized house as mine. Thats almost free IMO.
Even wood!If you factor in your time by the hour(cutting,piling,clean up), plus the wood(if your paying for it).It isn't all that cheap.
I don't know about you, but I factor all this in as cost! Figure out what you would charge someone else for doing this, then add wood cost, and thats what it's worth!

tbsdolmar said:
I'm sure that I will get stomped on for saying this but Geothermal heat pumps are a waste of money in my opinion. For example I can install a complete 15 seer system with ductwork for around $7200 and a geothermal with wells are $18-20,000 installed.
Your gettind rapped on that price.

tbsdolmar said:
The life span on both units are 12-15 years..
50yr warranty on my set up. I will be long dead after it expires!

tbsdolmar said:
Also you still have to have electric backup on both units.
I already have full generator back up, so thats taken care of!

Status
Not open for further replies.