BOILER REVISIONS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

91LMS

Oct 20, 2011
MAINE
i will post pics of the inside of my fire box but for the most part its an open box with a partial baffle at the top. i am planning to add some firebox volume and incorperate an ash pan and grate to make operation easier. in effort to help transfer to the water jacket faster i am hoping to add steel studs that will pull some heat into the jacket. would lining the lower portion of the fire box with brick help as well? other ideas to help transfer?

the firebox portion added to the bottom would be much easier to not wet jacket it. should that boiler plate be lined with brick as well? i have toyed with the thought of welding in some exchanger tubes either in the top or in the bottom coals to give me more surface area. however if the performance of this unit doesnt increase substantially the circulator does not stay on 100% of the time and worry about the tubes boiling or steaming off with water sitting still.

looking for some insight, thoughts or sense that i am lacking. i have to run this thing another year or two until i can swing a gasser and would make life much easier next year if it worked better, not to mention save on wood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.