boiler room ambient heat and noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlang

Oct 5, 2010
N WI
Thinking about locating indoor boiler in mudroom/utility room of new radiant slab home. Do I need a window to vent excess heat? How loud is the fan? Any thoughts about minimizing?

Welcome to the boiler room, Acorn. I expect that you'll get at least as much advice as you can possibly use - maybe even more.

I doubt that excess heat will be a problem, especially since you'll need to provide make-up air (presumably from outside). Fans vary by model. Mine is similar in noise level to my oil boiler. I'd consider a door to keep ashes / wood dust / smoke / cold makeup air in the utility room.

Combustion air as per the code requirement, sound insulation batts in the partition walls, a floor drain in the room, and a CO detector. A fire sprinkler head in the room is not a bad idea.

For a small room consider motorized louvers for the combustion air or the "fan in a can" air inducers.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.