Boiler Setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcusscam

Aug 17, 2015
Maine
Hello,

I am currently in the process of remodeling a home that my dad had setup, the only problem is he never really finished any one project and I am redoing the roof and decided to relocate the chimney for my boiler to the other end of the garage where it is more serviceable. While at it I managed to get a hold of a good size water storage tank for a very reasonable price of $100 that should hold about 640 gallons of water. My intent while moving the boiler is to tackle this project at the same time and have spent the last year or so just reading the different threads on the subject but now it is time to tackle this myself.

I believe I have come up with a schematic that will work and am wounding if anyone who has some experience with this might take a look and provide some feedback on the setup. The boiler and thermal storage tank will sit about 10 feet apart and the existing oil burner will remain in place in the current chimney about 30 feet away on the other side of the garage which is next to my utility room where I will break out my current home (1 zone) into about five. The other zone off the boiler is the garage which is also the primary dump loop for the wood boiler and probably will remain that way as it is lined with about 20 feet of old cast iron radiators and would be a pain in the backside to remove for right now and is fairly effective at bringing the boiler temp back down when it hits the set point. Right now my oil boiler that has a small thermal reserve plumbs into my wood boiler and to make hot water with the oil burner it must heat the wood boiler to extract heat from the domestic coil inside the wood boiler (seems very inefficient but those are they type of issues that I have targeted for resolution) and hope to resolve this issue with a indirect water heater that I have sitting around.

Again any comments or concerns are welcome, rather fix it on paper than after install.

Jeremy

Edit---
I though I probably should add some important detail for understanding of my thinking:

Thermal Storage will be be a load through v2 (with v1 open) and be a source through v3 (with v1 closed). v1 and v4 will be normally open incase of power failure for a convection loop.

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Sorry no one got back to you ... lots of folks on vacation and not thinking heating. Be patient...

Status
Not open for further replies.