Boiler shed construction pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Starting to come together after a lot of planing and work. The date is a little off. It was actually thanksgiving week end 2010. the shed is now water tight but don"t have that picture yet.

Attachments

• boiler shed framing.jpg
    boiler shed framing.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 800
  • shed frame picture.jpg
    shed frame picture.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 785
  • seting tanks (2).jpg
    seting tanks (2).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 800
  • seting tank verticle.jpg
    seting tank verticle.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 764
Very nice! I wish I could have set my tank up vertical. Don't forget to take pics while the project is ongoing. We like pics :)

Looks good. I wish I would have stood my tanks up and built around them like you did. Its a real pain trying to stand them up after!

Where did you get the rockets?

That's going to be a sweet thermal storage setup. We are doing the same thing here for one of our local customers... 2-500 gallon tanks on end in a big boiler shed with an overhead door... pretty excited to get him up and running, though just like you, we're running a bit behind.

Good luck!

cheers

Make sure you really secure those tanks to a solid wall. You don't get earthquakes often (or large), but they do happen (even in Maryland). Once those babies get rocking you won't stop 2 tons of water from falling over. My storage is in the house basement and the boiler in an outbuilding. The ceiling is only 7-6 since I wanted an attic for farm stuff.

Nice setup!!

What size is the small tank for expansion?

gg

goosegunner said:
Nice setup!!

gg

Its called a 124. I believe its 120 gallon. hopefully large enough !

woodsmaster said:
goosegunner said:
Nice setup!!

gg

Its called a 124. I believe its 120 gallon. hopefully large enough !

Thanks, I have a 100 gallon horizontal that is going vertical for mine. I to hope it is large enough. Not a lot of info for sizing this type of expansion tank.

gg

the total pressurized side of my system holds about 1600 gals, I have a 200 gal vertical tank with sight glasses and 12 psi fill. it still has at least 40% air at 20 pounds. The tank in the picture looks like a blatter tank.

I have a 100 Gallon expansion tank that works well for my 2 X 500 Gallon tanks. In my system I have a lot of pipe 1.25 and 1.5", a Tarm 60 and oil boiler I have no problem with pressure. If you have the propane gauge in the top of the tank you can use that for your level gauge. No need to add a sight glass.
Set up looks great !

RobC said:
I have a 100 Gallon expansion tank that works well for my 2 X 500 Gallon tanks. In my system I have a lot of pipe 1.25 and 1.5", a Tarm 60 and oil boiler I have no problem with pressure. If you have the propane gauge in the top of the tank you can use that for your level gauge. No need to add a sight glass.
Set up looks great !

I'm glad that it works on your system should be plenty big for mine then. It does have a gage so no sight glass needed.

Looks Good! Are you going to put your boiler on a stand of some sort to lift it up a bit? Having it about 12-16 inches off the floor really helps with the cleanout!

Medman said:
Looks Good! Are you going to put your boiler on a stand of some sort to lift it up a bit? Having it about 12-16 inches off the floor really helps with the cleanout!

I agree. I raised mine by placing on concrete blocks which also allowed me to place fiberglass insulation under the boiler. I then wrapped the bottom with tin to prevent any coals falling under the boiler as I knew I would not be able to stop from opening the bottom chamber door all the time to just take a quick peak :cheese:

Medman said:

Havn't considered it untill now. The loading door seems to be at about the right level sitting on the floor. Not even sure yet on how to clean it. I'll have to think it over.

My Paxo came on a steel skid pallet (about 5 inches) and I just left it on it. Works great. Judging by the little sundial, it looks like you do have a south facing roof.

in hot water said:
is that roof facing south? A nice mounting area for some solar thermal collectors.

hr

Yes the shed and shop both face the south. haven't even considered solar yet. That may be a project for a few years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.