boiler shutdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gradwell

Mar 26, 2008
western pa
Now here is a really dumb Newbie question.

When I go to bed at night, Once the wood in the boiler is burned up and my low set point is reached, obviously the fan will kick into high speed to bring temps back up. being that all wood is burned. The temp. will continue to drop. Will this fan just keep running all night, or will the system eventually just shut down?

Thanks, Joe

What boiler do you have? I think all gasifiers will give up and shut the blower down after a certain amount of time if no more heat is produced.

If you're talking about a forced hot air blower, then you're right - it will run as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. You'd have to add some thermal switch to have it not run when the wood furnace is cold.

I'm currently using a cheapo 12 hour time you can buy at any big box store to control when my draft fan shuts down. I got the idea on this board and it works great. Less "optimized" than a solution that actually senses when the wood/heat is gone but for the money you can hardly go wrong...

It is an Econoburn. Do they have a built in sensor of some sort or do I need to figure out a solution. I have no storage and though excited about the possabilities of the system not to excited about staying up all night especially while i am trying to heat up about 6000 Ft. of in slab tubing.

On a side note, while still trying to heat the slab, i shut the unit down for about 5 hours when i went to bed last night. Only lost about 3* in return temp. My point is that I have been concerned with burning a fire all night. Makes me nervouse. That would be from my lack of confidence as I have never owned a "wood device" before. That being sais it would seem that I could comfortably let the fire burn out each night and just restart in the morn.

Sound O.K. I dont think this could pose any problems or am I mistaken?

I installed a 12 hour timer on only the blower on my econoburn 150. I just set it for about 4-9 hours or so ( depends on the amount of wood I put in) and it shuts off in that time but the circulator still runs so if there is still fire there is no danger of making steam and busting something. Last year i had alot of concerns about something going wrong but this year things seem to be going great. There is a learning curve.

gradwell said:
It is an Econoburn. Do they have a built in sensor of some sort or do I need to figure out a solution. I have no storage and though excited about the possabilities of the system not to excited about staying up all night especially while i am trying to heat up about 6000 Ft. of in slab tubing.

On a side note, while still trying to heat the slab, i shut the unit down for about 5 hours when i went to bed last night. Only lost about 3* in return temp. My point is that I have been concerned with burning a fire all night. Makes me nervouse. That would be from my lack of confidence as I have never owned a "wood device" before. That being sais it would seem that I could comfortably let the fire burn out each night and just restart in the morn.

Sound O.K. I dont think this could pose any problems or am I mistaken?

I think you may be overly nervous... Did you worry about your oil or gas burner running over night? What about the water heater? I wouldn't consider a solid fuel boiler to be any greater hazard if operated properly... That said, no real harm in letting the fire burn out other than the minor hassle of restarting it...

I'm not sure about just what the Econoburn has for sensors, but from what I've seen most gassers have sensors that will shut the boiler down when it quits making heat, but don't have a lot that will shut down the rest of the distribution system, which sort of makes sense since there are so many possible configurations for that, it would really be difficult to do. However there are many options to add low temperature shutoffs to the rest of your system with details depending on just what you have for a setup....

Gooserider

I know my eko senses it and shuts down the fans and circulator and puts fuel on my lcd readout. not sure how they do it but it works for us. I usually load up just before bed and depending on how cold it is I usually have coals by mornin8-7 hours of burn time. however I do not run storage either.

Status
Not open for further replies.