boiler side expanding out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2010
new mexico
My Plummer did not put a big enough expansion tank on my 1000 gallon system. My echo 40 is expanding out on right side. I had it welded last year I corner where leaking, but I want to have my welder cut off right side of boiler and re weld new steel on so I do not have to worry anymore. Has anybody done this or have some ideas for me thanks

This might not help your present issue of fixing the expanding boiler - but even if the expansion was too small, the relief should have blown off pressure before your boiler was damaged. So I'd put that on the fix list too, for going forward.

Reactions: BoilerMan
Your relief valve should of stoped it before it got to that point. What relief do you have / did you have? opperating pressure? Also what do you have for expansion, and how do you plan on correcting your "undersized" expansion problem?

Hmmm... If you had a standard 30PSI relief in place there is no way in the world that the sides of the boiler should have deformed under any circumstance. Methinks you have a boiler problem if that is the case.

If however the relief was the wrong pressure or there was no relief valve at all, then it would be possible for the vessel to deform.
In either case, if you are noticing movement in the walls of the boiler you most likely have a pretty severe problem on your hands. I think the EKO's have side stays welded in place which add strength and prevent the bowing you see. If you are seeing evidence that the side walls are moving that would probably indicate some kind of severe stress or failure in the water jacket.

Reactions: BoilerMan
At what pressures do you see this deformation? If the boiler's water jacket fails when there is a fire in it the results would not be pretty......... You could run it as an open system after the repair to be safe. Use a FPHX to isolate your boiler+storage from the pressurized system side. Or a new boiler should be on order.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.