1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Boiler/storage calculator link?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Badfish740, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

I swear a few years back I when I was looking at gassers I found a calculator that allowed you to plug in your max boiler output, size of storage, max and minimum temps of storage, and design heat loss of your home. Once you plugged all of this in, it would tell you how much wood you'd have to burn for how long to get however many hours of heat out of your system. I think it was actually a manufacturer's website, but I'll be damned if I could find it now. I'm starting to look seriously at the Empyre Elite 100 with the electric backup for my remodel and I want to play around with the numbers to see how much storage it would take to get the least amount of fires per week. One of the selling points to the wife on this has to be why it will be more convenient than our current setup of a forced air furnace with add on wood furnace.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    I made a excel spread sheet that calculates what I need to burn to recharge storage. I also have one that I made on the iPhone.

I enter top and bottom storage temps, Target storage temp, current boiler temp, It calculates pounds to target.

I can also factor in hours of burn, and average heat load per hour. I know the load pretty well just by outside temp. This will calculate the additional wood consumed during the burn to satisfy the heat load.

If you want it pm me your email address.

gg
    Coal Reaper likes this.
  3. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont