Boiler with forced air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsfan

Dec 20, 2015
Oakland County, Mi
Hey guys, don't throw stones at me for asking I'm fairly new here. Is it possible to tie an IWB into my forced air system? Seems like the few people I have talked about it were not too excited about that setup, what am I missing? I want the pex floor heating but basements are pretty common here in Michigan and running pex under the wood flooring doesn't seem like that's the best setup, any ideas?

Hey guys, don't throw stones at me for asking I'm fairly new here. Is it possible to tie an IWB into my forced air system? Seems like the few people I have talked about it were not too excited about that setup, what am I missing? I want the pex floor heating but basements are pretty common here in Michigan and running pex under the wood flooring doesn't seem like that's the best setup, any ideas?

Yes, very possible & lots do it. Using a water-to-air heat exchanger ('WAHX') in the plenum. (Picture a car radiator type of thing...).

I built my house last year, and wrestled with the many heating options there are. I wanted A/C, but also wanted to heat with wood. I was able to find a great deal on a 2008 Tarm SP30 and decided to have a propane wall mount boiler as backup. I then went with the WAHX or "Hydro Air" with air handling units and ductwork. The WAHX works very well for me, the house is a two story 2800 sq ft with separate units per floor. The Tarm is great, I learned a lot last winter (my first year burning) and fine tuning my boiler. This year I added 500 gallons of pressurized storage (Thanks to NoFossil's diagram!) and it is so much better.

and it is so much better.

Yessir. I still think that adding storage is a bigger gainer than going from non-gasifying boiler to gasifying boiler. Depending how good or bad the non-gasser is, that is.

I have a HX in my furnace that is hooked up to the boiler outside. I dont like it at all because it is an 80k but HX and cools the water off way too fast. Then I have to turn the heat down, let the water get hot again and do it all over again. Pain in the but. So, I decided to put 1000 ft of 1/2" pex under my wood floor kitchen, family room with carpet, front entrance with tile and a bit in the master bath to keep the tile from being so cold. I love the lex and almost never use the HX unless it is like -20. I can keep the house at 65-68 or so all the way down to -5 F if there is no wind. Below 0 F and windy it gets a bit cool in the house. I have 2200 Sq. ft Ranch with 9' walls. I have an EKO 25. I will never again go without pex under the floor. If I build new I still might go with pex under the floor. It is so easy to staple up and forget about it. Also, I only have one pump. I didn't do zones . I just tapped into the main 1" copper going to the HX. It works just fine. I I can control my house temp by the temp of the water. Now that it is 30 F out I keep it at about 160 degree water temp. The house only varies about 1 degree in the last 2 weeks. If it gets colder I will turn the water temp up a few degrees.

Have you looked into the Kuuma wood gasifier units? They tie directly into a forced hot air system, so you don't have to mess with plumbing. Lots of info on this site about them.

Mike

Last edited:
I would think so, first of all let me say I have no experience with IWB's, only OWB's. Based on the basics though I'm pretty sure a water to air exchanger would do the trick. Check with badger or Hardy. You will need a heat exchanger for what ever ton unit you have.

We have a water to air HX. Greenwood 100 outside hooked into HX on oil furnace. Works well. Replacing Greenwood this spring with a Tarm Bonus with 300 g. pressurized storage. Will retain water to air HX.

OK, that's better.

I have 2x330 tanks. Figure about 700 gallons in the whole system. I would love to have 1000, but I'm tight for space down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.