1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Boiling and treating water after supply interruption due to Sandy.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by woodchip, Oct 30, 2012.

1. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    Just a thought for anyone who has had a water supply interruption, or may now have untreated water in their pipes..........

Just boiling water will not kill all bacteria. However, if you have a pressure canner which is used at 15psi, that should be adequate as water boils at about 250f at 15psi, rather than the usual 212f.

Hopefully, everybody has a few camping tablets close to hand, but you can never be too careful......

Keep safe,
    Dave.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I wouldbe interested in your source for this. Most of my sources indicate that bringing the water to a boil is adequate

http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/water.html

I do a lot of backpacking so have plenty of aqua mira (chlorine dioxide
  3. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    We had a problem with severe flooding some 5 years back and the sewage treatment plant got flooded and dirty water got into the water supply.
    At the time, people were told to not use any water from the domestic supply, and use bottled water where possible.
    Some people had no bottled water, and were advised to pressure treat water in canners or autoclaves if possible as certain pathogens and spores could survive boiling at 212f.

Having read your link, I wonder if our authorities were being over cautious........