boisdarc tree as firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

napoleon burn

Oct 15, 2011
north texas
Is boisdarc a good fire wood ?? some people call them orangewood or horse apple trees... thank you!

Bodark...Hedge...Osage Orange...highest BTU wood that grows here in the USA. Dries pretty quickly. Burns like coal...don't melt your stove! A guy I know has got some lying next to his driveway. I'll give him a call tomorrow... :cheese:

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :)

Yep, a lot of people who have burned Boisd'arc (aka Osage orange, Hedge, MOnkey ball tree, and a load of other names) claim it is the best firewood there is. It is about the most dense, and therefore most BTU-rich wood you can find - there are a couple of wood of similar density, I think, but most of those grow as small or scattered trees. Is addition to being a great firewood, Boisd'arc is also one of the longest lasting woods in contact with soil, so it makes great fence posts or other outdoor things.

Unfortunately I have never burnt any. It isn't very common here in Pennsylvania.

napoleon burn said:
Is boisdarc a good fire wood ??

bearshtwoods.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.