Bolier how to rum circulator so bolier doesn't. freeze

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckpp

Feb 29, 2008
Belmont NH
I have a pellet stove up stairs im want to find out how to turn my circulator on for my boiler downstairs so it doesn't freeze.

Any thoughts
Thanks chuck

Can't you just put a thermostat down there (if there's not one there already), and set it low so the boiler will kick on once in a while? Shouldn't use that much fuel just to do that.

What i do is turn my house bolier right off.What i would like to do is
just run the circulator on a couple times per day without the bolier being on.

chuckpp said:
What i do is turn my house bolier right off.What i would like to do is
just run the circulator on a couple times per day without the bolier being on.

Normally the circulater runs off the room stats and the boiler off of the stat on the boiler.

I do not know what your switch actually shuts power off to.

I don't think you want to turn the boiler off.
I cycle mine 2-4 times a day (with a programmable T-Stat), and it doesn't burn very much oil.
This will not only keep the zones from freezing, but the boiler will throw off enough heat to keep the basement above freezing (if insulated properly).
The hot water from the boiler circulating through the zones will also make sure that a zone won't freeze by keeping the water at least relatively warm when not circulating, whereas a circulator pump alone won't guarantee a zone won't freeze if cycled on and off a couple of times a day while being exposed sub zero temperatures.

One other thing to consider what if something happens and the stove shuts down/runs out of fuel/doesn't work during freezing weather?
At least even set to low the boiler would fire and save a freeze up, but if the boiler is off you have no backup.

Trust me you will lose more money in repairs after a freeze up than firing a boiler a couple of times a day, but this is just my opinion.

1D

Status
Not open for further replies.