Bolt Anti-Sieze

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8781

Sep 4, 2008
Northern MI
I've heard it said that the first good fire in some fireplaces (especially the Quad 7100) will permanently freeze the screws to the blower shield. Some suggestions for avoiding this are to remove the bolts and seal with high-temp silicone. I'm wondering if some anti-sieze paste, like the stuff used on car engines would work (or perhaps this is what those posts were really trying to say). Any insights?

I have successfully used Permatex antiseize on stove fasteners even inside the firebox. 48 months and four heating seasons after installation and the bolts came out just fine.

I use anti seize on almost anything outdoors or subject to rusting unless some manual specifically states otherwise. If you keep stuff like I tend to you will find that that poor stupid slob of a mechanic whose problem it is going to be 4 years down the road looks a lot like you. Nothing pisses me off more than a "cheese" bolt which most of em are today rusted into a dissimilar casting so they both fuse together with a little heat and moisture. Then you break off the easy out in the stub and begin to cry................................................ A little anti seize nearly assures you miss all the fun. I am not sure of which type would be the best for that particular situation so it would be best to find out from a machinist forum or buy it at a professional supply rather than Wally World ect. They do make different types and applications more suitable to specific purposes.

There are two different flavors of anti seize compounds. The copper based stuff seems to be a good all around compound and I have used it for years on just about anything that might have to come apart in the future. The nickel based stuff is a higher grade but more expensive. Either is better than nothing at all. In an oxidizing atmosphere like a firebox the greasy part will burn off and leave the copper particles embedded in the fastener. This allows you to get it back apart without wrecking things. The only drawback I've found is the stuff is messy; if you get some on your hands, it will soon be all over everything. A little goes a long way. One great place to use it is on the hub of a drum brake. Shmear a little on the hub before reassembly and the drums will just fall off the next time you need to do a brake job. A little on the wheel studs will also make it easier to change a tire on the side of the road when you don't have your impact wrench handy.

Chris

I have used the Permatex Nickel Anti-Seize. It is rated to 2400F and works fine.
Don

My bottle of anti sieze says it's effective from -65-2000*F. Probably should work.
And if I would have had a flat tire on the road with my Excursion, the lug nuts would not have been the problem. When I put brakes on the front I had to beat the wheels off with a sledge. When I rotated tires a few weeks later, I had to do the same with the rears. A little of that stuff in the center of those hub-piloted aluminum wheel made life much easier.

Anti Seize is the best. It' messy but it works.

Another good use for anti-seize, smear a little on the door handle of a buddy's car then when he gets off work and it's dark out he won't be able to see that he just picked his nose and rubbed his face and handled his tax papers on his way to his cpa's office before he realizes there's anti-seize all over everything. Don't ask me how I know this :lol:

I have a lawn service as a side job while mama stays home with the youngins, and I've started to use the stuff on the bolts that hold the blades on....I change/sharpen my blades every 10-15 hours and it used to be a bear to get those bolts off even with an impact wrench...antisieze really solved that problem...I love the stuff...plus those bolts get plenty hot....I love the idea about my buddies car door....

Great! You have to love that anti-sieze. So the first thing I'm going to do when I get my fireplace installed is to remove the firebricks from the floor and put some copper anti-sieze on those bolts. I really do love this website.

brogsie said:
What about the anti-freeze icing up?

Add water to it!

Chris

rdrcr56 said:
Another good use for anti-seize, smear a little on the door handle of a buddy's car then when he gets off work and it's dark out he won't be able to see that he just picked his nose and rubbed his face and handled his tax papers on his way to his cpa's office before he realizes there's anti-seize all over everything. Don't ask me how I know this :lol:

You are a nasty, nasty man!!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.