bolts for glass seizing up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

italia899

Aug 27, 2006
Hello,

I just got done refinishing my stove and the bolts that hold down the glass on the doors seized up. What is the best way to prevent this? My first inclination is don't torque them so much and use some hi-temp "anti seize" on the threads.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

With the heat anti seize does not work all that well. If you are planning to ever re-doing your stove or taking apart any thing again I put back stainless steel bolts.

Or just stop in at pretty much any knife or gun shop on the way home tomorrow and pick it up.

You just have to love stainless. Just remember the golden rule. Some fine day some poor slob is going to have to take that apart again. He is going to either sing your praises or curse you. Most of all that poor slob could be you! Be nice to yourself.

Brass should be ok. My Cessna has brass nuts holding the exhaust on right at the edge of the manifold. It gets around 1400 - 1550 F right at that particular region not more than 1/2" away. One thing for sure no matter how long on there they spin right off and on again no hassles. If you had to hire someone to remove them with a torch then you already know the golden rule don't you? Try owning a bulldozer, every time something breaks ( and it routinely does) you need to go get the gasaxe whether it be to avoid breaking a bigass bolt in a very expensive hard to reach casting or to just lop one off. And then there is the mud...............

Never throw a track on nice even ground always in the woods on a slope

You sure as heck got that right Elk.

Whats with the woods? Lets think about muddy slope with rock. Of course the rock is under the dozer so you cant jack it except for using the muddy soil. And you keep going and going and going. Sooner or later you find the bottom and the damned thing raises just a smidge. Of course all that isn't an issue if you have another machine nearby. Of course I didn't have another machine, just mud rock and a couple bottle jacks. Sure got my attention and to this day I can feel a track coming off in time to keep it on. Not expertise, just sheer fear and loathing. The two best ways I know to get rid of friends are pouring a slab and throwing a track, not necessarily in that order. Just mention either one and they immediately have to go walk their snail or whatever. Best of all how can you blame them?

I had an old JD 2010 that did not want the track to stay on on the left side. Every day I would check it add greese to pump it up to the right tension. If I was the only one using it the track never fell off its when my helper opperators used it I had the problems.I seemed if the looked at where they were going and noticed the stump or bolder when turning all could be avoided. Most of the time a backhoe or other equipment was around. IT was easier to torch and blow out the pin than trying to set or right it. Finally I could not put up with anymore I traded it in for a 450 with a 4/1 bucket. Great machine still running today. All I have left now is a 1977 JD 500C backhoe. I do addition excavations. I hire out the transport. About 5 a year since I sold my truck and trailer. I used to do septic systems and complete site work but a crew on one make this impractical

Status
Not open for further replies.