Bonfire like smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rhubarb

Jan 2, 2017
Massachusetts
Hello. I have an 8 year old Harman xxv pellet stove which vents to the outside. Over the last month an odor (like that of a bonfire) has been coming from the stove. When I turn the stove to low the odor seems to disappear. We have cleaned the stove and checked the outside vent to make sure it is clear of any debris. Any thoughts?

Are u smelling smoke inside or a damp smell. Are the pellets damp or do you have a leak in your vent.

Turn stove on and do the flashlight check. Turn all lights off and see where you may smell smoke.

When was the last time you really cleaned stove. Really cleaned took out fan cleaned whole thing top to bottom

Try different pellets.

I get this occasionally if I run Heatr's pellets in a pinch, or if the stove doesn't fully cycle off before turning back on due to temperature drop on really cold nights.