Bonfires Tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
There is going to be several bonfires in the area tonight, for the New Year's celebrations. I had four people come and buy firewood today just for that purpose. The last guy wanted $160 worth, but all I had left measured out and ready to sell was one face cord, $50. Hey, if oak firewood is what they want to burn in a bonfire, I'm their man! $160 worth is just over a full cord. That bonfire would have coals for a long time. This guy found out a shortbed Ford pickup only holds one face cord anyway.

I've been invited to a bonfire myself, although it's not burning my wood, but my brother-in-laws.

Whats the over night low for your area tonight?

0°F tonight.

I had two more come while I was milking the cows this evening. I just pointed them to the stack and told them to fill their trucks up. I never expected it today. I don't remember selling any on New Year's Eve before.

Now I'm off to the bonfire we were invited to. 10°F above zero at this moment.

exactLEE said:
Bonfires r now illegal in NY. No can do!
Illegal in NY? Wow. Fortunately not in Wisconsin, we can still have fun time with them here when the ground is snow-covered, and by permit when it's not.

Bonfire i have a huge pile for a bonfire took down to old barns one a 32*42 the other a 20*32 wood should burn good dated back over 50 years cant wait for a south wind then come grab a stick and some marshmellows

-26°C tonight with 10km/h wind so I'll be enjoying the fire in my RSF. I have a large brush pile that I still need to burn down but the wife gets all freaked out about my big bonfires and won't let me burn when it's windy.

Brush is usually what people around here use for bonfires, which is partly what surprised me about selling wood yesterday, people buying oak firewood for it.

Just got home a little while ago and now heading out to milk cows, -1°F below zero (-19°C). It was a little windy, but we all had a great time.

quads said:
Just got home a little while ago and now heading out to milk cows, -1°F below zero (-19°C). It was a little windy, but we all had a great time.
Make sure you warm up your hands before you touch their teats. Wouldn't want you to get kicked.

It's -27°C here now and supposed to dip down to -34°C tonight. High today forcasted to be -20°C.

Naw, that's what the teats are for is for warming the hands! You just need good reflexes. Haven't you ever milked a cow man?!

Ha! My cows don't kick me. They're my pals. Most of the time!

Backwoods Savage said:
Haven't you ever milked a cow man?!
We had a milking machine. We always washed the teats down with warm water to prep for milking and warmed up the milk machine too.

The only hand milking was stripping them after the machine was done. The barn cats, dogs, and piglets drank what we stripped. Calves got the skim milk that came out of the separator.

We have a milk pipeline now, put in around 1985. Before the pipeline was the old Surge buckets.

Status
Not open for further replies.