1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. bayfeet

bayfeet Member

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Harman accentra insert, when opening the door to scrape off ashes, I get an explosion. I realize it's not a good idea to open the door while the stove is running, so I always open slowly. Got a delayed bang/explosion a couple of seconds after opening the door. What concerns me is this most recent bang seem to throw ash and embers. Oak installed about six feet up the flue and cap termination with air holes at end if liner. Is this a backdraft situation? Ed

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    you should not open the door well the stove is running it is. it sounds like the the stove is reversing this is causing the stove to be starved of oxygen and in turn you are building up gasses in in the fire box, when the gases meet the air from the room it is causing a small explosion. not good
  3. bayfeet

bayfeet Member

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Is there any way to eliminate this from happening other than not opening the door? I like to keep the ash of the burn pot. always kept clean. Major cleaning after each ton.
    CBL likes this.
  4. bayfeet

bayfeet Member

Loc:
    Central Mass
  5. stoveguy13

Loc:
    CT
    you could try disconnecting the oak that may work
  6. bayfeet

bayfeet Member

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I thought the oak would benefit the stove more oxygen? So the outside air kit is working too well?
  7. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I know my stove starts shut down when the door is opened. Should shutdown stove before scrapping burnpot. There is a balance of air in the combustion chamber of the stove created by the exhaust fan that is thrown out of balance by introducing air from the opened door - designed to have air source from the intake pipe that the OAK is attached to. Do not remove OAK ... manual recommends OAK installation.

I know I have seen comments about opening doors to scrape burn pots but why introduce a potential uncontrolled source of fire to your home? Perhaps those that do this idle the stove down... Shut down is the safest.
  8. stoveguy13

Loc:
    CT
    this has nothing to do with normally operation you are changing the pressure in the unit buy opening the door it is a forced system and by the door being open that disrupts the whole system the other thing that is contributing to this if i read your post right is that your oak goes up may be part of this effect of the the boom
  9. newf lover

newf lover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I have had my stove for over 5 years and have opened the door to scrape the burn pot nearly every day that it is running. I have never had an explosion or felt I put myself in danger doing this. I don't have an insert so maybe this is something unique to that set up, but I don't remember anyone posting about explosions in their inserts. Maybe someone who owns one will chime in here. Seems very odd to me.
  10. PELLETCONVERT

PELLETCONVERT New Member

Loc:
    BEL AIR MD
    I have an Accentra insert, (with OAK) and do a scrape on a daily basis with the stove running, and have never experienced this. The person at the showroom where i bought my stove did it as a demonstration to show me how to scrape on a running floor model Accentra insert, several times (not saying that he was correct in doing so,)
  11. RCCARPS

RCCARPS New Member

Loc:
    South Eastern PA
    No issues here either. I tend to slowly open the door while its running to let the flames die down a bit, then scrape away!!

RC
  12. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    I think your vertical OAK is acting like a flue when the door is open.Hot combustion gases rise into the OAK and when fresh room air, drafting down through the embers gets them hot enough they ignite the gases.
    PPLcangotoh... likes this.
  13. Utilitrack

Utilitrack Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central ME
    x2!!!
  14. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    On my 3rd Harman. Never noticed anything like that. I think Harman even recommends a daily scraping of the burn pot. If that's the case, I hardly think they mean to shut it down first. The manual also states the ash pan can be emptied DURING the stove's operation. That would obviously mean opening the door (ash pan door)

When's the last time you cleaned/checked your stove's venting?
  15. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Harman shows in videos scraping the pot while running. I would suspect like P38, you may be having a venting issue. Time to get the brushes out and get dirty. Hope it isn't 15 below like it is here.:)
  16. bayfeet

bayfeet Member

Loc:
    Central Mass
    About 3 weeks ago, lint eater and shop vac. Probably burned almost a ton in that time.
  17. bayfeet

bayfeet Member

Loc:
    Central Mass
  18. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    Disconnect your oak and see if this still happens.
  19. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Ditto
  20. Stevekng

Stevekng Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    That's a lot of pellets in three weeks! I run two stoves and have only burned 1 1/2 tons in three months (cold nights in Oct.= burned pellets). I have an 1850 farmhouse with 1800 sq. ft.
  21. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Your stoves a pig!
  22. Stevekng

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Who's stove?
  23. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Bayfeet. That's a lot in three weeks.
  24. Stevekng

Loc:
    Central Maine
    That's what I thought too. Maybe the "Boom" is the stove farting from all those pellets;lol
  25. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Lol, that's funny.