boot glove dryer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loneeagle15

Feb 12, 2007
Montana
I found a couple last year but this year I can not find a boot dyer to place next to mt stove any one able to help
Thanks

My neighbor made this one for me. I'm sure if you find a welder in the area, or you have the ability yourself, it could be duplicated easily. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• dry_rack 002.jpg
    dry_rack 002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,426
Rather than bring them to the heat, you can bring the heat to them. Gather a bunch of smooth river stones, warm them on the stove and then stick them inside. If you need faster, high volume production drying, they make plastic trees with a fan that blows air through holes in the "branches".

http://images.google.ca/images?q="boot+tree"+fan+dryer&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=2

Or if you don't want river stones (I don't), then you can purchase small soapstone boot and glove dryers from Woodstock.

Boot dryers

Just scroll down the page to Soapstone Bootwarmers. The large ones work great for boots and the smaller ones work for gloves.

I have a pair of high boots (like loggers boot) that are insulated and naturally get wet (from sweat) when I work in the woods. Sometimes I'll put a large one in the bottom of the boot and a small one standing up.

I also use these for taking an extra pair of gloves to the woods with me. Put a soapstone in gloves, wrap them up and then when my hands get wet or cold, or both, I simply put the dry pair on. That warm glove surely feels great when your fingers are cold! They work great. We like them so much that we have 2 pair of each size.

We also use these things on top of the stove when cooking. The pots and pans sit on the soapstone blocks instead of directly on the stove so we don't scratch the stove top.

I sell work boots for a living, and can tell you from experience that drying boots or leather anything by the stove is guaranteed to shorten the life of the product. I have seen leather cooked by hot water radiators, fireplaces, campfires, you name it. A sustained temperature over 150 deg. (and maybe less for some glues, rubber, and fabrics) is going to cause the leather to break down and nothing you can do - oils, polish, whatever - can bring it back.

We sell a very effective shoe/boot dryer by Peet (http://www.peetshoedryer.com/products.html) which is very effective. When I first saw it I thought it was just a gimmic, but it really works. It simply blows low volume unheated air through the shoes and will dry them out even in very humid conditions. They are widely available and pretty reasonable.

The rack pictured above will work fine too, just do not put it close to the stove.

Mark

Boot dryer by the stove. I use my wifes Confidance USA Model # ? exercise bike. Handle bars are good spot to slide boot over force them open to dry. To lower the temperature of drying the boots I use the foot pedals (lower elevation lower temp and less damage to boot leather).

jotul8e2 said:
I sell work boots for a living, and can tell you from experience that drying boots or leather anything by the stove is guaranteed to shorten the life of the product. I have seen leather cooked by hot water radiators, fireplaces, campfires, you name it. A sustained temperature over 150 deg. (and maybe less for some glues, rubber, and fabrics) is going to cause the leather to break down and nothing you can do - oils, polish, whatever - can bring it back.

We sell a very effective shoe/boot dryer by Peet (http://www.peetshoedryer.com/products.html) which is very effective. When I first saw it I thought it was just a gimmic, but it really works. It simply blows low volume unheated air through the shoes and will dry them out even in very humid conditions. They are widely available and pretty reasonable.

The rack pictured above will work fine too, just do not put it close to the stove.

Mark

As a former professional dominatrix I agree. My boots were also work boots.

Backwoods Savage said:
Or if you don't want river stones (I don't), then you can purchase small soapstone boot and glove dryers from Woodstock.

Boot dryers

Just scroll down the page to Soapstone Bootwarmers. The large ones work great for boots and the smaller ones work for gloves.

I have a pair of high boots (like loggers boot) that are insulated and naturally get wet (from sweat) when I work in the woods. Sometimes I'll put a large one in the bottom of the boot and a small one standing up.

I also use these for taking an extra pair of gloves to the woods with me. Put a soapstone in gloves, wrap them up and then when my hands get wet or cold, or both, I simply put the dry pair on. That warm glove surely feels great when your fingers are cold! They work great. We like them so much that we have 2 pair of each size.

We also use these things on top of the stove when cooking. The pots and pans sit on the soapstone blocks instead of directly on the stove so we don't scratch the stove top.

Hey thanks I just ordered a pair to try out.

jotul8e2 said:

Mark

Mark, there is a huge difference between drying a pair of boots that are wet through all the way. We're talking about drying the interior of the boot, which won't affect the outside leather at all.

In addition to all that has been written, I have to wonder today how many people really do grease their leather boots? Check with any stores that sell the stuff and you'll find they don't sell much at all. In that case, heck, they might as well sit by a stove anyway because the leather won't last long anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.