Boots 101

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbound

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2008
mid south tn
After being unemployed for the last 1.5 years I finally got a job with a company that clears out power lines and so on...They have hired me to work along side of veteran timber faller to learn from him.. I ordered a Rockman helmet from Bailey's and have a good pair of wrap around chaps , gloves,glasses. What I don't have is a decent pair of boots..

I have some ?'s

What is the difference between steel toe and safety toe??

Anyone know of any shops around the Wayne co. tn area???

I would really like to find a place I can go to and try some on.

I'm from Massachusetts and I remember most folks there liked Chippewa Boots..Whats do you folks think of them..I like they are made in America any other pros???

If I posted this in the wrong place I do apologize and please move it..

Thanks.....

I have a pair of chippewa timber boots hate'em...Congrats on the job! You using your own saw?

southbound said:
nope...

wont know till mon what i got....

either a 44 or 46...........
Cant go wrong there love felling with the 46.- 44 not much differance.

If I had to foot it in the brush like that, I would go with the hiking style boot.

I don't know what luck you're going to have in your location finding places to try boots. Is there a major city nearby? Shoe Shoe in Lawrenceburg has a few promising choices.

You can get boots that have the soles sealed to the upper in such a way that you cannot repair them once worn. Or you can get boots made with a Goodyear welt, which is sewn toegether and can be repaired and kept. I'd go with the latter.

Wesco makes absolutely terrific working boots, and they'll send you what you need to trace your feet for a personal fit. Or you can just buy their stock boots. They cost a lot, but they're made in Oregon and will be the last boots you need if you take care of them. For something quicker, less expensive and decent, Magnum or Carolina are good choices. I have a pair of Magnums that I use when I'm working in the woods. Waterproof, non-metal safety toe and very comfortable. Not sure, but I think a non-steel toe only matters if you're doing electrical work. But your company can probably make specific recommendations.

Congratulations on the new job. It sounds great.

I live in a central location everything is 2.5 hours from me lol....

I was looking at the Goodyear welt type of boot. I have heard of Carolina but when I searched their site only one pair was USA made...I have never seen Magnum so I will look into them....

Thanks for the congrats... Starting to think it is too good to be true....

You're going have a tough challenge to 1) get boots made in the U.S. and 2) Get boots made here that are good. Nearly everyone outsources now and I don't think it's a sin to buy smething made overseas. Except in China, where they still harvest organs for profit from prisoners.

southbound said:
I live in a central location everything is 2.5 hours from me lol....

I was looking at the Goodyear welt type of boot. I have heard of Carolina but when I searched their site only one pair was USA made...I have never seen Magnum so I will look into them....

Thanks for the congrats... Starting to think it is too good to be true....

Getting paid to run the saw you should be paying them! lol You know your way around a saw couldnt think of anyone better suited than you!

It's not that it's the part where I have to knock on doors to get permission go on peoples land...They sat around telling me their tails of getting chased by folks with guns and so on...I thought and was told I was going to be cutting I like that head down doing my job all day is fine with me..Now when it comes to dealing with folks I'm not so good..O and I found this funny because this is a small town folks know you better then you think and the fact I have a carry permit is not as secret as I hoped I was told I can not carry on the job...Not even in the truck....I had no intention on doing so just found it funny.....

Just listen and the rest is easy...Most carry a gun in that neck of the wood I would think?

I wear the Matterhorn miner's boot. Comfortable, waterproof and they have a steel metatarsal shield so that if I screw up and try to drive the saw through the top of my foot it will protect from sawing it in half. And they are made in the U.S. of A.

southbound said:
Jay what don't you like about the Chippewa Boots?????????????

It kills my feet rubs score and blaster...Done ever-thing I can think of to be able to wear them even carhartt stihl toe socks no help! I paid about 150.00 bucks for them and wish I could wear them....Use about everything to help condition them just nothing seems to help.

http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/logger/73025 Thats the pair I have.

not sure if they have one to fit your needs but
Rocky boots in ohio has some very comfortable boots
they were all made here until a few years ago
moved them oversees

Remember he is working 40 hours a week with full wrap chaps the toe is the only thing exposed. I am all for safety but if your wearing chaps right shoes will not need to be mining boots!

Mass. Wine Guy said:
I thought full wrap meant the chaps wrap around the calf and leg. They also cover the foot?

They should cover just like your pant legs do and with steel toe boots you are coverd very well.

x2 on the Matterhorns.Check out their website.I would recommend the EMS rescue with steel toe.They are pricey though.But then again,really good boots are never cheap.

Well I drove all over today and found nothing....Folks seem to just buy any boot they like not so much on safety...

All the stores I find listed on the net within 100 miles are online only...

Status
Not open for further replies.