Boric Acid vs. Diatomaceous Earth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boric Acid will not work well in wet areas since it is hydroscopic. Since DE is used as a filter in fish tanks I imagine it will work better. I have not used DE as an insecticide though.

Matt

I think silverfish like moisture. Are you on a damp crawl space. If so a vapor barrior may be your best solution. Seven dust might be worth a try, It works well with most inscects.

Boric Acid has a certain level of toxicity to insects, even when damp. DE does not have any toxic properties that I know of, when dry it works by the dry particles tearing up the insect's breathing passages (It does the same thing to people, just on a smaller scale, which is why you should avoid breathing DE dust...)

If I had to choose between BA and DE, I'd go with BA, however given the specific insect target, I'd seriously investigate the use of more specific and powerful products, especially if it is an area that you have opened up, but don't normally have easy access to...

(IMHO the "kinder" products like DE and BA, etc. are mostly compromises between doing something that is bad for the bugs w/o being overly toxic to people that are accidentally exposed, because you can't do an application that doesn't expose people. If one can do an application that doesn't expose people once you close things back up, then the "heavy artillery" seems in order...)

Gooserider

I'm with Goose. I do use Borax around outside of foundation and inside sills when building. I'd do more research. I really like the newer micro encapsululated stuff that keeps spiders and other pests away from the deck, boat, hot tub, etc for several months.

Status
Not open for further replies.