Bosca 500 glass gasket replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToolStang

Feb 19, 2015
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hello everyone! been a lurker for a while, but finally had to actually ask a question that i couldn't find an answer for. I have a Bosca 500 stove. From the knowledge i've gathered this isn't the best stove out there :(, but hey it came with the house i bought last year so i'm making the best of it for now.

I'm getting a significant smoke smell after burning 2 tons of pellets so far this year. I shut the stove off earlier today and smoke started billowing out of the top of the glass. I'm talking smoking out the house type. It hadn't shown any signs of the door gasket being bad and upon inspecting it (the dollar bill trick as well as soot build up) there seems to be no fault there. The fault lines with the window gasket.

I took the door off and then removed the window frame/door gasket (4 screwed down hold-downs) and come to find out that the gasket is a U-shaped around the glass. but here's the kicker: IT WAS ONLY ON 3 SIDES! !!! the top showed no evidence what-so-ever of there ever have been a gasket on it. This clearly was letting air in and coincidentally smoke out. My question is this: why on earth would this be? I've never seen or heard of such a thing. i don't know why you would even have a gasket on the other three sides if you leave a gaping hole on the top side.

any insight would be greatly appreciated. I've also come to find out that the the u-shaped gasket is hard to come by and my best bet is to use the adhesive flat type of gasket and just stick it to both sides. My plan is to seal the glass on all 4 sides, but i'm fearful that this was done by design and that by doing so, i'm inviting in problems.

as a side note, Trae Heat pellets suck...

I don't know about your particular stove but a lot of stoves don't have gaskets on one side. The reason for this is the open side is used as a air wash to help keep the glass clean by washing air over it. Wouldn't at all suggest that you close it off with a gasket as you'll be creating all kinds of issues the least of which would be more heat on the glass and the possibility of breaking the glass.

I don't know when the last time you totally cleaned your stove and its venting but after 2 tons it's well past due. You might also need to look at your venting joints to check their condition and see if any smoke is coming from those areas.

First thing to do is do totally do a tear down and clean of the stove and its venting.

I think it might be a vacuum issue. When does the manual recommend cleaning the exhaust blower and chimney stack? My stove manual says After 1.5 tons. Also does it only do this on start up? If so that is quite common. I would not put a gasket all the way around that glass. Lack of gasket on the top or bottom is definitely for air wash unless the manufacturer states otherwise.

I have the same stove as you. Its a pretty well built stove, but you will notice that it is not supported well at this time.

First, the glass gasket is designed to only cover 3 of the four sides. It allows a small amount of air to wash over the glass to help keep it clean.

Second, it seems as though you are having smoke-back after shutdown. I had this as well and took some steps to mitigate it.

Many homes can have a draft to them especially if you are running bathroom or kitchen exhaust fans. When your stove shuts down, there still may be some un-burnt embers smoldering in the burn pot or ash pan and the smoke from those embers will get drawn into your home. I don't care what all the vets say around this board about "with a proper pellet vent installation, your pellet stove will still vent to the outdoors even if the combustion blower is off". The truth is, it won't. It will take the path of least resistance.

In order to prevent my stove from smoking back, I performed the modifications written up in my thread here:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-burn-pot-extension-installed-on-bosca-classic-500.99855/

The burn pot modification essentially eliminated any unburned pellets from landing in the ash pan and catch fire or smolder. The factory burn pot liner is not tall enough on the BOSCA stoves and I noticed a significant amount of unburned pellets taking a funny bounce and ending up in the ash pan. The mod I described in the above thread eliminated virtually all of this.

The other mod that I performed consisted of adding a time delay relay into my stove. This time delay relay allows my combustion fan to run approximately 20 mins longer than factory settings during a stove shutdown sequence ( I run my stove on a thermostat). Having this additional blower run time ensures that the fire in the box is completely burned out and once the fan kicks off there will be no smoke to find its way back into the home. Adding this time delay relay effective doubled the blower run time during a shutdown sequence from the factory spec 20 mins to 40 mins. Before modification, too many times I observed still-glowing embers in the burnpot after the 20min shutdown sequence expired and board shut off the exhaust blower.

Since performing the time delay mod, I've never had any embers in the pot following a shut down sequence and I am completely satisfied with my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.