1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Bosca Ignitor question part 2 with Picture

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by berg, Feb 7, 2013.

1. berg

berg New Member

Loc:
    utah
    So I dove in to the base of my Bosca Spirit 500 to check out the ignitor since it was so far from the burn pot. I found that in the ignitor tube there are 4 allen head screws that keep the ignitor from goig all the way to the burnt pot. I am going to assume this was engineered this way. ( I tend to overthink things)
    Anyway my question is the ignitor is at least 3 inches from the burn pot. being new to the whole pellet stove program I am wondering if this is normal. I just cant see hot air in the tube lighting the pot. BTW there is no induction on the back of the igniotr tube to force air down the tube so how does this work?
    The ignitor is about 5-6" long and hangs out the back of the tube as you can see in the pic.
    My original question and pic can be seen here.
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/bosca-spirit-500-ignitor.105229/

Opinions? click on pic for better view

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    It might be a reaplcement ignitor, hence longer than the original, which doesn't matter. The hot air will be drawn down the tube by the slight vacuum in the burn chamber. Trust us, the hot air can and will ignite the pellets.

The four set screws may not be meant to set the depth of the ignitor; they may be used to hold the ignitor in place in the center of the tube. As for longitudinal location, a service manual or a look at another stove would help you.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    The air flow comes from the combustion blower sucking it past the igniter.

The igniter is inside a tube with a small space around it.

The air flowing past the igniter will exceed the ignition point of wood. If you make the mistake of putting a part of your hand infront of that igniter you'll be severely burned.

I can't speak as to weather the igniter is properly positioned in the tube, you haven't provided enough information.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Or berg could call USSC who IIRC handles Bosca these days.