Bosca Spirit 500 .... ignitor ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berg

Feb 18, 2012
utah
got a bosca spirit 500 that show in the manual that it has an ignitor. I cant find it.

Got to looking and can't see one or any wires to facilitate one where the schematic shows it.
Manual show it to the right side ( face forward) of the firebox, just a round rod looking thing in
the drawing. Could it be I dont have an ignitor?

opinions?

where else would it be?

If the stove l lights itself, you have an ignitor. It has to be in the vicinity of the burnpot, so it can ignite the pellets.

bosca.jpg Well I followed the red wire as per the schematic and it goes into a tube that goes eventually into the firepot, about 6" long.
I believe I have an ignitor so how does an ignitor tube work? Seems like the ignitor is back in the tube maybe? It is definately not near the burn pot but the tube extends to the burnpot with hole where I assume the flame/ignitor does its business.
I'll post a pic in a minute

Your stove may vary, but most stoves want the ignitor right up near the pellets. The ignitor heats air that is drawn over the pellets, igniting them. The ignitor does not directly light the pellets, but uses heated air to do so.

Is your stove lighting off okay? Or are you looking for the ignitor because there's a problem?

I haven't lit her up yet... I just got curious and saw the ignitor on the schematic and went looking.

cant see how heated air would lite pellets but if thats the way..I may be good to go.

I haven't lit her up yet... I just got curious and saw the ignitor on the schematic and went looking.

cant see how heated air would lite pellets but if thats the way..I may be good to go.

That igniter gets the air temperature well above the ignition point of wood, so the wood pellets will light up just fine.

Reactions: heat seeker
Is there a wire('s) going to the back of it? How about a (Hot Rod inside of it)

The tip on most should be visible from the angle of your pic? I'm not seeing one??

Is there a wire('s) going to the back of it? How about a (Hot Rod inside of it)

The tip on most should be visible from the angle of your pic? I'm not seeing one??

yes there are wires going to the back of it. I measured and it( ignitor) is about 3.5" inside the front opening of the ingnitor tube.
Does that seem like it would still work?

yes there are wires going to the back of it. I measured and it( ignitor) is about 3.5" inside the front opening of the ingnitor tube.
Does that seem like it would still work?
Well, it does seem to be pretty far from the end. Most that I've seen the tip of the ignitor isn't more than about 1/4-1/2" from the end, but maybe that stove design calls for it being that deep. I'd fire the thing up and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.