Boss told me I had too many vacation days so....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I took the day off and cut wood all day. Started off cutting standing dead red oak, white oak and maple mostly good to burn this season. After about 5 loads of that I cut up a big red oak that had fallen down back in the spring. Trunk was hollowed out about 6 feet up. After cutting all that dry wood earlier in the day it was nice getting into the green red oak. Saw cut thrugh it nice and smooth. Need to get back out there tomorrow to get rest of the oak and start splitting it.

Here is my wood hauler, John Deere X500. Take the mower deck off and with the differential lock it's almost as good as an ATV out in the woods.
930a89fc.gif

Load of of wood, mostly standing dead red oak in this pic. MC was 15 - 19% on a fresh split.
380a9168.gif

Downed Red Oak, you can see the trunk in the back of the pic.
77ad1882.gif

Load of the red oak. I need a bigger trailer!
9eba319a.gif

Not sure what happened to this pic but it's the pile of wood, minus most of that big red oak, from the day. Pretty good score!
a55559b3.gif

ANY day of wood-cutting is better than a good day at work. :)

Wow, looks like you had a productive day!

Whereabouts in southern Maine are you?

peterc38 said:

Thanks, I live in Dayton which is kind of between Saco and Hollis if you don't know where it is.

Had the day off today to and did pretty much the same; saw, ATV, trailer. My wife helped me as well. We had a great time, got a ton done and it even snowed for a few minutes. An awesome day in the woods.

Skier76 said:
Had the day off today to and did pretty much the same; saw, ATV, trailer. My wife helped me as well. We had a great time, got a ton done and it even snowed for a few minutes. An awesome day in the woods.

It's amazing what a good day in the woods with no emails or phone calls will do for you. I need to do it more often.

albertj03 said:
Skier76 said:

It's amazing what a good day in the woods with no emails or phone calls will do for you. I need to do it more often.

Couldnt possibly agree more.

that X500 is one heck of a nice machine. I could have bought one new, but I bought my new truck instead, lol. Glad to see you putting your green tractor to work.

Ditto on the X500...I bought one this summer along with a 17P cart.

That tractor is not one of the "Home Depot" John Deere's, I take it. It seems they might have a lesser line for the mass merchandisers? I have a Craftsman which is fine for me in suburbia, but I love those tractors on the John Deere website.

I have been taking 3-4 days off here and there as well. I had about 80 days of vacation time this summer and now I'm down to 60.

albertj03 said:
peterc38 said:

Thanks, I live in Dayton which is kind of between Saco and Hollis if you don't know where it is.

Wow, we are neighbors, I am in Lyman.

albertj03 said:
Skier76 said:

That's living. I am happy to sneak in a few hours here and there.

3 day weekend YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

It's surprising you can get around so well without chains on that hilly terrain...nice toys albert.

I agree about a day in the woods. I've always enjoyed it.

It is getting closer to cutting time around here. I may start early if I am able to cut any.

peterc38 said:
albertj03 said:
peterc38 said:

Wow, we are neighbors, I am in Lyman.

Small world huh? I joined a great tractor website (www.mytractorforum.com) and found out afterwards that guy who started it lives right down the road from me.

The X500 is definitely not a Home Depot lawn mower. It has a much larger and heavy duty ground engaging transaxle in it, Kawasaki engine, locking rear end and heavy duty tires. No trouble getting around at all but I do have to use the diff lock from time to time. I got lucky and found mine used in great shape with a 44" snowblower and a 48" plow for a great price. It was actually a trade in to the local John Deere dealer and they called me to see if I was interested before they made the deal with the previous owner.

Great pics . . . thanks for sharing with us.

I went out with my son yesterday and hauled the rest of that downed red oak out of the woods and started splitting some of it. When I first got to the wood pile I noticed something smelled like piss really bad and thought maybe an animal had sprayed down there. After I picked up a piece of wood I realized it was that oak that smelled so bad. I usually love the sweet smell of fresh oak but this stuff smells pretty much like piss. I hope the smell wears off soon!

albertj03 said:
I took the day off and cut wood all day. Started off cutting standing dead red oak, white oak and maple mostly good to burn this season. After about 5 loads of that I cut up a big red oak that had fallen down back in the spring. Trunk was hollowed out about 6 feet up. After cutting all that dry wood earlier in the day it was nice getting into the green red oak. Saw cut thrugh it nice and smooth. Need to get back out there tomorrow to get rest of the oak and start splitting it.

Here is my wood hauler, John Deere X500. Take the mower deck off and with the differential lock it's almost as good as an ATV out in the woods.

Not sure what happened to this pic but it's the pile of wood, minus most of that big red oak, from the day. Pretty good score!
a55559b3.gif

Free wood, Paid vacation day, good looking way to haul what you've cut.... Makes for a goooood dayl!!
Bill

albertj03 said:
I went out with my son yesterday and hauled the rest of that downed red oak out of the woods and started splitting some of it. When I first got to the wood pile I noticed something smelled like piss really bad and thought maybe an animal had sprayed down there. After I picked up a piece of wood I realized it was that oak that smelled so bad. I usually love the sweet smell of fresh oak but this stuff smells pretty much like piss. I hope the smell wears off soon!

All the wet Oak I stack for drying smells just like that. It will take a while to dry out...

Status
Not open for further replies.